SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof5angels

Cost effective breakfast and lunch ideas

momof5angels
15 years ago

As everyone probably knows, I have 5 children...ages 15, 14, 12, 11 and 9. My children's school system operates on a 45-10 schedule, meaning that they are off for 2 weeks every 6 weeks...and then they have a shorter summer.

Breakfast and lunch for 5 kids can be mega expensive. I was doing cereal with milk and juice for breakfast but milk is almost 5 bucks a gallon here and the kids go through 2 boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk per day. (Around $15 a day just for breakfast when you factor in juice and the fact that I have 4 boys who are not satisfied by one tiny bowl of cereal...) Lunch was sandwiches with cold cuts and cheese and a piece of fruit (various kinds.) Lunch was about $10-$12 per day.

For about a month last year, before I went back to work, we were struggling HORRIBLY. We had no choice but to cut WAY back...Then it hit me. WAFFLES. Waffles are a buck a box or so. Syrup a buck a container. Changing breakfast to a CUP of milk, a cup of juice and a couple of waffles suddenly began saving us a fortune. For lunch, we had to cut back as well. I did some research and went for the old standby. Ramen. Each kid would have a package of ramen (they love the shrimp flavor) and to add in SOME meat, I bought Nathan's hot dogs and we would cut up a hot dog into each bowl. The kids loved it and again, we saved a fortune. We still had fruit with breakfast and lunch but for awhile had to stick with the cheap trusty bananas and rather than having a banana WITH lunch we made it a mid-afternoon snack.

I'd love to hear other parent's ideas about cost saving breakfast, lunch and snack ideas. Financially we are doing better now so we do mix it up...sometimes cereal, sometimes waffles, sometimes toaster strudels (big treat that the kids love.)

You may wonder why eggs and biscuits and sausage are not on the menu. Well, the reason for that is simple. I'm not a morning person. LOL! On occasion I get up bright eyed and busy tailed and ready to make a big breakfast...but unfortunately for my crew (and myself) that is not a common thing. When I get up in the morning no one really speaks to me. They know better. Hahaha!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH