SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caphillsm

Need Advice

caphillsm
12 years ago

DH and I have been married 5 years. Two SSs were 13 and 15 when we married. Younger one about to graduate and has a plan for future and is excited about it and doing great. Problem is younger one, nearly 20, who I will refer to as SS1.

SS1 has no friends, and spends most of his time sleeping, eating and gaming. He failed out of college first year. Never left the dorm room and got multiple F's. Admits to "gaming" most of the time while there. He has spent every summer with us (different city than BM) and every summer I have gotten him a good job. He just goes and does it when he arrives, but I do all the work to secure it. This includes last summer, after dropping out of school. DH asked him to write down his priorities for his life and his response was "To Chill". He doesnt do drugs, no interest in girls, and has begun gaining weight. He used to look like an athlete and I was shocked last time I saw him.

DH gave him three options: 1) go back to school and get good grades as part of a degree program, or 2) enlist in the military, or 3) get a job. None have happened, however he is taking a couple classes at a local community college, philosophy and something else.

He is living with BM who threatened to kick him out if he didnt find at least a PT job by January 1, then renegged ("too cold") When he asked DH for tuition $ DH said no because "he has not outlined a viable plan for himself" DH will certainly invest in a plan, even if that means helping him get a car because he has a job.

DH announced to BM and me a few months ago that we "shouldnt enable SS1 anymore. He's going to have to feel the pinch to understand that life involves planning and working hard" As he cannot find a PT job, BM gives him a "chore list" every day which he does.

Summer is a little more than three months away and I am starting to panic. What if I am expected to get SS1 a job again? How will THAT help him? It's still enabling, in my opinion. Which means he moves in, eats our food, watches our TV and lies around when not at work. To be honest, the stress I feel from it is awesome. I feel "disdain" for his laziness. If he could show interest in anything I could work with that.

So, I decided to mention to DH that it might be better for me not to hook him up with a summer gig again and we should let him do it on his own. DH didnt take it the right way. He is saying I "hate his son and just don't want him around". I explained its part of not enabling and he just got angrier and isnt talking to me now.

You are all likely thinking that I shouldnt have said anything, but I am already dreading the summer.

Did I do the right thing, and what now?

Comments (11)