SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof5angels

SD14's cellphone and texting BM

momof5angels
15 years ago

I have posted a little here about SD14's cellphone but it's starting to get a little annoying...Here's the deal...

We had asked BM to call at certain times each day as she was repeatedly interrupting dinner time, interrupting homework time and calling WAY too late at night. It was discussed in court that BM needed to call at pre-set hours...Two months later BM bought SD a cell phone for her 13th birthday. We did not monitor SD's use of this phone for many reasons. 1) BM pays the bill. It isn't our expense at all. 2) SD makes excellent grades so it wasn't interfering with her school work.

There was a period of time that I had a big issue with the cell phone...If asked to do anything, SD would either appear within moments with BM on the phone or SS11 would respond to my requests that he do his chore with "I want to call my Mom" and he would scurry off to SD's room for the phone. DH has made it clear that calling BM does not change OUR rules so this activity has subsided for the most part. He also made it clear that if they could not do as they were expected, the cell phone would go to BM's house on the next visit and stay there.

Enter NEW problem: Unlimited texting. SD has wanted unlimited texting for months now. For Christmas BM bought SD14 a new cell phone AND unlimited texting. SD's phone bill has now increased to over $60 a month which I find pretty ridiculous considering BM couldn't even afford the gas and food that would allow the skids to visit last month.

SD14 texts non-stop all day long. If we go shopping she is texting as she walks through the aisles. If we are driving she is texting non-stop. The BIG problem here? She is texting BM. BM apparently came into some money and got unlimited texting herself last week...SD comes into the kitchen texting BM while I am cooking. She texts her Mom to say "we are having spaghetti." We go to the grocery store. She is texting Mom..."We are shopping at Kroger." Basically BM has a constant play by play of every move we make in our house day after day all day long...including when SS9 is in trouble or WHATEVER may be going on in our home...

I'm getting fairly fed up. I can't fart without BM knowing about it...Considering we do not pay the bill and SD does get good grades would it be out of line to put restrictions on this phone and texting? One reason that I feel it SHOULD be monitored is because of drama it has incited this week. SD14 and SS11 were in a texting war with BM...they do NOT yell at us at our house and are very respectable because we demand that...but they yell and scream at BM and talk down to her. SD told me a couple of days ago that her and SS11 had been in a text war with BM because BM treats her stepdaughter (who is 17) like a FRIEND while she treats them like her kids. Apparently BM sent a "You are my BFF forever" text message and SD was proud of getting BM to stop treating her like a child...

I just would like to go to the store without BM knowing my every move...Any thoughts?

Comments (27)