SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley1979_gw

DS is So Smart! If only his dad knew that....

ashley1979
14 years ago

I swear my kid amazes the heck out of me at how perceptive he is!

DS's birthday is 1 month and 1 day after Christmas. Well, he wanted a certain new game system for Christmas, but we couldn't afford it. Surprise, surprise...X get's him one for over at their house (X's GF's mom's house).

Q: Who buys their kid a $400+ game system for a place he spends 4 days a month?

A: Someone who wants the game system for themselves, but uses the kid's Christmas gift to justify it.

Anyway, DS saved all birthday and Christmas money he got from my family and, about 2 weeks after his actual birthday, traded in his old system and got a portable system he had been wanting (not the same thing he has at X's). That day, X called and told DS "remember the (insert name of store) gift card you got for Christmas". This insinuated to DS and myself that he could use the gift card for either the game system at X's or the portable one.

This morning, I asked DS if he ever got that game he wanted for his portable system. He said "No, because my dad is still being selfish. He wants me to save it to buy NCAA Baseball 2010 when it comes out for his house and I don't even want that game." So I said "Let me see if I understand this correctly: Your dad gave YOU a gift card for Christmas, but is making you wait to use it until a game comes out that you don't even want?"

If X wanted that stupid game, why didn't he just buy it? Basically he bought a game system for HIMSELF and is making DS buy him a game, too. Expensive one at that. Those were supposedly DS's Christmas gifts.

On the other hand, maybe DS is telling me he doesn't want the game, but hasn't actually told X. Maybe he doesn't want to tell him for whatever reason. DS always acts a little afraid of confronting X with anything. I don't know why.

I was thinking of talking to X about it. He never seems to have a problem talking to me about things. Once when I was having problems with my sister, DS told X some stuff and X told me that DS was afraid I wouldn't take care of it. Maybe I should tell X what DS told me and clear it up instead of DS thinking X is "selfish".

Or should I just leave it be. After all, it's only video games.

What do you all think?

Comments (12)