SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
june1972_gw

How to explain ex step mom has moved on?

june1972
14 years ago

Has anyone else had to explain to a child that their ex-step mom is a 'past relationship'....and then explain how people can move on after relationships?

My step son is 11 yrs old, and his ex step mom been separated from them for 3 yrsÂ. SheÂs had some visits with him here and there over those yearsÂbut they have gotten less and less, and the last time she scheduled a visit she didnÂt even follow through, then last month, she wanted to set up another visit with him, and so it was told to her that maybe it's best to let him 'move on' (as he wasn't asking about her anymore....and didn't seem to miss her... and we are starting our family together).

Then last Sunday after a family fun day, he says out of the blue "when do I get to see her again" Â..and IÂm not going to lie and say it doesnÂt hurtÂ. but I think our family outing triggered memories from when she was in his life.

What do you say when they ask ÂWhen do I get to see herÂ?

He also did this with a girlfriend that was in their life for about a year between the above relationship and meÂ.apparently this girl and my stepson didnÂt even like each otherÂ(and this was the first time he brought this gal up) he said he missed herÂ.then said "even tho she was mean sometimesÂI still miss her"

Which is why I think itÂs time that something is said to him, It seems to me he doesnÂt understand why people are in your life for a period, than are not.

How do you say it without it sounding as though heÂs been abandoned by them?

Comments (11)