Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?? on cell phone grounding

Posted by mom2emall (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 9:54

So we took my sd's cell phone away for one week as punishment. The thing is that she will be grounded from it over the weekend and usually on the weekends her grandparens call her cell or send her text messages. Once every month or so her mom will call her cell.

So what do we do about the weekend? Do we turn off the cell and say too bad your grounded? Or do we keep it on in our room and if we see she had a call from family let her use the house phone to call them back?

Part of me wants to say if your grounded then your grounded. The other part does not think the grounding should include relatives and I know they will only try calling her phone.

What do you think??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?? on cell phone grounding

I'd be inclined to say she should be allowed to take calls from family members. Presumably the grounding as punishment is to remove the pleasure of calling all her friends etc. But if you would allow her to receive a call from relatives on the land line (which I hope you would) then if they would only call the cell phone I don't see in this instance it is really any different from receiving a call on the land line.

o

I agree.

o

Thanks girls. I think we will just keep the phone on and if I hear it ring and it is a family member she can use our home phone to return the call. I was thinking that was the right thing to do.

o

Since you know she is going to receive the calls anyway, why not have her make the calls to her Grandparents and Mom first. This way you won't have to monitor her phone for messages.

o

"Since you know she is going to receive the calls anyway, why not have her make the calls to her Grandparents and Mom first."

That's a great idea -- It's kind, reasonable, and enforces the existing grounding while not adding on any unintended consequences. I also like the added feature of putting SD in the position of having to confess and explain...

o

if mom only calls once a month i see no point confessing anything, she won't care. It is not like both parents are involved and need to know about punishment.

Is that the same SD that has special needs? what is she grounded for?

o

Ya it is the sd that has an iep. Her IEP is because she is "slow learning". When she was little they diagnosed her with adhd but that turned out to be wrong.

Anyways she is grounded for her attitude and arguing with us. We decided that if she can not talk to us respectfully she could not talk to others on her cell phone for a week.

o

I say grounded is grounded, no phone. Don't the grandparents & mom have the house phone number they could use to contact SD? If not, it would be logical to assume that, should they call her cell, and not get an answer, they would leave a message, which she could respond to after she has completed her term of being grounded. Making exceptions opens the door to more and more exceptions. I always wanted my kids to know that I said what I meant, and meant what I said...no exceptions!

o

Cellphones tend to become the principal means of contacts in these situations for families so your idea of allowing family to call in is fair and simple. Congrats to you for being a parent and having boundaries.

o

Well I kept her cell phone on and in my room until last night (when the grounding was over). I checked it often and she never missed a call or text from family...just friends. If family would have called or texted she would have been given the home phone to call back from. As for friends she was not allowed to call them back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here