SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janemarie5

Question about SD moving with mother out of state

janemarie5
15 years ago

SD lives with us, she may move with her mother down south. She is currently a sophmore in High School. SD will go if she moves during the summer but does not want to change in the middle of school.. I posted a longer post about this last month. Biomom currently lives 20 minutes away in the same state as us, we have custody of girls although only 1 is considered a minor at this point.

My questions are: If BioMom quits job here to go down there and takes lesser paying job/attends school, what is our financial responsibility meaning, let's say she makes $500-$600 week now but makes $300 down there, are we responsible to pay more because she makes less?

I do not think it would be fair to make us pay a higher percentage of child support because she takes cut in pay/attends school all because she wants to move. Don't get me wrong, paying child support is not a problem for me, what is, is her continual claim that she is going to school, can only work part time and we have always been the main provider. And I know she won't make as much when she moves. I would hope that the judge would base child support on what she is capable of making, not what she claims she will make when she moves.

2nd question: What if we decide to fight it? What if 16 year old wants to go but we think it's not in her best interest as it's an unnecessary move? Will a judge care what we think if 16 year wants to go? It's not that mother is unfit, we just worry how she will transition, and the move is not necessary, we continue to be the main providers financially. Biomom pays child support, often times she gets behind but at the moment she is up to date.

But her goal is to finish her program and work part time, and her DH will have to find work.. it's all incredibly risky.

Just to update everyone, BioMom has gotten into the Community college she wanted to complete a program she has started up here, it will take her a year to complete down there. She has to be down there by August to start. They have dropped the price of their house 2 times. Once in Jan and again last week. And the rumor is she will go in the summer regardless of house selling and wait for her husband to sell house up here. Sounds incredibly risky in these times, but whatever... It's not my problem UNLESS my SD goes. If their house sells and they have a home, school district and are settled in, I can't really take issue, but if they are in limbo, we will not let her go without a fight. My older SD is waiting to hear from the colleges she applied to and wants to attend in that state regardless. She is unhappy at her current college and is going.

I will update everyone as things progress. thanks for any input.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz