SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larajaia

Problems with Stepmother

Larajaia
11 years ago

My dad died recently and his wife of 15 years told me she had helped him clear out our family home when he sold it. My mother had died about 2 1/2 yrs before and her clothes still hung in the wardrobe. I thought my dad would ask me to help as I was looking forward to it as a way of saying a final goodbye to her. Dad didn't ask me so I assumed my brother had helped him. Dad never mentioned it again but for some reason, my stepmum chose to tell me after he died. She actually told me twice, as though to make sure I'd heard it. This wasn't the first time that, in my view, she overstepped her boundaries. I was pregnant with my 2nd child and asked if they would look after our 3 year old while I was giving birth. Stepmum said it depended when it was because they had planned a weekend away! Anyway, while I was in hospital, she cut my daughter's hair! I tried to talk to my Dad about it but he refused so, with hormones raging, I sent a furious email, which I regret, because we didn't see them for a year. I literally had to grovel so my kids could see their Grandad again. We saw them frequently over the next couple of years and I was happy for the kids to call her nanny as she has no grandkids of her own. We've fallen out again now, over the will which I won't go into, so I wrote to her, telling her she'd hurt me, as above, but now my whole family thinks I'm just being spiteful. Am I right to feel hurt that she cleared out my mum's things and cut my daughter's hair? Would anyone else think that was out of order?

Comments (10)