SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enchantedeve3643

At wit's end with stepdaughter drama

enchantedeve3643
14 years ago

It's been four years that I've been seriously involved with a kind and loving man whose wife passed away 7 years ago. We've been discussing marriage for the past two years (moreso his idea than mine). I'm divorced and was a bit hesitant about remarrying. Our problem is that his daughters (adults) are strongly opposed to his even being in a serious relationship. He also has two sons, but they are fine with the idea of their father moving on with his life. In the first year, the daughters were vocal and obvious with their feelings. Since then, his way of dealing with it is to not discuss them with me, and he doesn't discuss me with them. That has caused a huge breach that continues to get worse. I have very little interaction with the daughters, and when I do it's cordial, but not very warm and friendly. I have told him that he has handled this all wrong, but it seems he absolutely cannot bite the bullet and let them know that he wants to marry me. I even told him recently that I think he's a coward if he can't stand up and be honest and direct with his daughters. I understand that it's a difficult situation for all of them, but if he is so insistent that he wants us to be married, he's gotta do what it takes. He finally admitted recently that he knows they will be very upset and he doesn't have the nerve to tell them. Or..... is he only using the daughters as an excuse not to get married. I've considered that, but he is the one always talking about marriage. We have a great relationship, spend most of our free time together, travel together, socialize with a great group of friends and associates, etc. We've even started searching for a house (since I don't want to live in the house he had with his wife, and especially since one daughter lives there). I don't want to move forward with the marriage talk or the house search until he has "the conversation" with his daughters. Am I wrong to feel that way?

Comments (13)