SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiredofbeingthebad1

What do I do?

Have 3 step children. All was great at first. Lack of support & input by father, mother is a deadbeat. Dad and I used to fight constantly about kids and it affected my health. We also had other problems (infidelity) which occured a few times I'm home with the children. I had alot of resentment and withdrew from everybody. The fights got worse and I moved out the house. We are working on our issues and he holds animosity against me for leaving saying I abandoned the kids. During the first 2 months of my absence he was seeing a woman that he cheated on me with while I had the kids. She was around them. The deadbeat mom tells the daughter that I hate her and dad does nothing about it. I felt bad leaving them. We had some bad times, but alot of good times. I know kids are obligated to bio parents but I feel like I'm made to look like the bad guy. I sent apologie cards to each child explaining that dad and I had alot of problems and it caused me to be very angry. I'm sorry for leaving them, I love them & miss them. People make mistakes but you have to get up, dust yourself off and try again & if they could forgive me and give me another chance. I've had ALOT of hesitation from dad when asking to see them, talk to them. He says they feel uncomfortable. Yes the 'new' girl was nice (no kids of her own & didn't have an ounce of the BS that I went through with him. That's another forum!) but in instances where my daughter was mad at him ( she felt taken advantage of because she watched the kids on weekends $20 walked them to school $5 a day 3 days. He stopped paying because you don't pay family. Yet he would give his mother $60-80 when he dropped them off for the weekend. My daughter would have pizza parties that she paid for and did alot of things with them. Treated them like bro & sis.) My daughter and I both felt as though he acted like his kids do no wrong and would next to never discipline them. Which caused a BIG strain.

Now after a few tiffs, long talks and agreeing we need counseling we are working on the relationship and project to be married later on this year. I feel the sooner we as a unit sit down and talk to the kids, have them express anything that's on their minds, and reassuring them that it will be different and better, the transition can begin and we can work out the kinks. Am I wrong? PS after all I've been through all of my friends think I'm crazy. My dad is convinced that I'm smoking crack, lol. But I love him. So any and all advice, suggestions, questions are welcome. In fact I am begging you, what do I do?

Comments (10)