SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
analytical1

Divorced Man Flip Out?!

analytical1
14 years ago

Since many of the folks on this forum are themselves or are with divorced men, I wanted to pose this question to you. Did any of you experience, while you were dating, a divorced man flip out? Lol! I was dating this guy with whom I felt a connection that I hadnÂt felt with anyone else in my adult life. He has been separated and divorced for about 19 months and was the one who initiated the divorce. When we first started dating, we spoke about how he was recently divorced and wasnÂt eager to get back into a marriage. I told him that I could totally understand his position, but that I, being an unmarried, childless woman in her early thirties, am not divorced and donÂt have the same attitude towards marriage. When I was backpeddling out of our budding relationship at that point, he reeled me back in. The next few months were amazing! He treated me so wonderfully and our relationship felt like nothing I had experienced before. Then, one week, I noticed that he wasnÂt quite himself. He was more standoffish and just didnÂt seem like his normal, expressive self with me. At the end of the week, he initiated a conversation stating that after a week of "hell" from his ex-wife (he had told me that they were in the process of amending the divorce decree to modify the custody provisions), he realized that he never, ever wants to get married again. Since he knows where I am in my life, he said he just wanted to tell me so that I would know where he is. He went on to say that, while IÂm a great woman to whom "he can see [himself] being married," he "wonÂt" (well, "wouldnÂt) let our relationship get to that point. I asked him some questions, and was told that he had been giving "all of [himself] to [me]" up until that last week of ex-wife issues. He was fine with us staying together, but just wanted to put a limitation on it. Since that struck me as odd (especially given we seemed to feel about each other), I asked, "So we can stay in a monogamous, committed relationship . . . so long as I donÂt like you too much?" His response: Yes.

To make a couple of long conversations short, he said that he doesnÂt want to love or be loved. Period. So I told him that, as a self-loving woman, I couldnÂt have myself in a relationship where love isnÂt allowed, so we broke up. That was a month ago and we have had ZERO contact since then. No text, no email, no call. Up to that point, not a day had gone by since we met that we hadnÂt spoken to each other. Even though the relationship was short, I was soooooooooo sad because I felt for him in a way that I hadnÂt felt for anyone else.

What do yÂall make of this?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County