SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eddifer

My step son is making me crazy.

eddifer
15 years ago

I dont know what to do and i am at the end of my rope!!! my husband and I have a wonderful marriage. he is the best partner that any woman could ask for, but to be honest with you I am considering leaving him because i honestly dont think I can deal with life with my step son in it.

My husband and I were married when my ss was only 2 years old. I had a 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter from a previous marriage. I took this child into my heart just like he was my own. His mother was not in the picture so to him i was "mommy" from the start.

I myself come from a family full of "steps" and we all grew up just like biological brothers and sisters so honestly there was no issue with having a step child....boy was i diss illusioned!!!!!

I noticed early that this child just didnt seem....uuuhhh...well, normal. He would scream for hours on end..throw tantrums that would stun the most patient parent..

Well, I carried on. I talked, i diciplined, i begged, i bribed, i bargained, i loved, i showered this child with affection to the point that my own children would feel left out. Ikept praying the situation would improve. In kindergarden, my ss was a terror. I was in the principals office at least 3 times a week. He was biting, hitting, lying. finally i had him evaluated and 3 different doctors told me that there was nothing physically, emotionally, or mentally wrong with him...he is just "strong willed".

When ss hit the first grade he failed every thing, but during the last 9 weeks of school he would become a straight A student because he was afraid of having to repeat the grade. This indicates that he can stay focused if he wants to...he just never wants to. Then there was the behavior issues..he would melt down in class when asked to do any task..like a 2 year old. down on the floor crying and screaming in the middle of the class room...

well, time for another visit to the doctor, and the child psychologist...both tell me there is nothing wrong with this child. we tried several meds for addhd to no avail. the meds made him worse instead of better.

Then he starts making up stories..he actually told his dad that i threw him down a flight of stairs.

Now we are in 3rd grade and things are even worse. He forgets his jacket, his homework, to put his dishes away. he forgets to clean his room, zip his pants, turn off his lights, do his chores..and his excuse..."sorry mom. i forgot."

My children cant stand to be around him. I beg them to have patience with him..and they really do try. they are remarkable children who are responsible and polite and thank the dear lord for that because to be honest with you, I have no time for them because every second of my day is tied up in trying to get SS to do what he needs to do. You can hand the child his toy and tell him to put it in his room and he drops it on the floor and walks away.

He is a total slob and has no sense of any kind of personal hygine. this child will come home so filthy i hate to see him step on the floors.

When i ask him to do anything his response is "what about tyler and caitie?"(the other children)

The strange thing is that he is a very sweet boy..he just has this huge sense of entitlement...my husband is in total denial..he works 12 hours a day and doesnt see the goings on here. He always has some excuse for him..when i ask him to decipline him all he does is "give him a good talking to" thats it!!!

Depression is setting in because honestly..i hate being anywhere near the child now. he is my biggest source of stress and anger. then i feel guilty for feeling that way. I love him..god knows i would die for this child but I feel like such a failure. He is 9 now and he behaves like a 4 year old. I tell him where to put the dirty laundry and he will drop it on the floor next to the basket. I tell him to not take food in his room but days later i find moldy food under the bed.

I dont know what to do. I cant live like this but i cant live without my partner either. anyone have any advice, suggestions or just a hug for a mother riddled with guilt and feelings of failure?????

Comments (8)