SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somethingtosay

Not Sure What To Do

SomethingToSay
11 years ago

I am 28, been with my DH for almost 8 years (though we just got married last month).

He has a 10 year old son who I just don't know what to do with. I am trying really hard to step into this roll and really put just as much into it as I would if her were my own. I do homework with him every night (HOURS of homework, because I have to go through his entire day's lessons with him every night. He suppooooosedly has ADHD and his school is apparently incompetent to teach him, and if I don't put all this time and effort into it, he is DEFINITELY going to fail 4th grade). I don't know if he has ADHD or not, but I know something is definitely going on. His grandmother (who raised him the past 4 years after his mother abandoned him with her while my DH was traveling for work and not expecting to get to see him at all) spoils him to death and spent the past 4 years she's had him teaching him NO manners and NO study habits, and overall not caring what he did and letting him sit in front of video games to his heart's content (and his heart doesn't easily get it's fill of video games - he'd play for days on end if we'd let him).

He has the most annoying habits as a result of his grandmother letting him do whatever. He still baby talks VERY noticeably, has ZERO awareness of hygiene, no table manners, he walks around in nothing but his underwear (or pull-up if he can get away with it - he still wets the bed. I realize that isn't his fault, but I don't want him walking around in a diaper all damned day, either), he whines about having to do anything that isn't in front of a video game or TV, he compares me to his DISGUSTING-excuse-for-a-human-being-mother and keeps her on a very high pedestal no matter how much she ignores him or lies to him or generally forgets about him like the rest of the 7 kids she doesn't even have anymore. He lies, he sneaks, he cheats. He puts up that whole "oh-so-sweet" thing because he KNOWS damn well how to manipulate people.

I am sorry for ranting but I can't tell my DH about any of these feelings, as he is all but useless as a parent without specific instructions.

If anyone has any advice, or just words of encouragement to remind me that I signed up for this and want to be an amazing stepmom, PLEASE... I am just so frustrated and I think I am starting to resent my little family.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor