SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janemarie5

Stepdaughters might be moving

janemarie5
15 years ago

Hello,

I have somewhat of a dilemna, maybe more of a vent. DH two DD's live with us, one is almost 19, other almost 16. They have lived with us for 5 years. They see their mom, 19 year old has had a somewhat distant relationship at times but have been much closer the past 6 months. Well, it appears that Bio mom has her house up for sale, is moving down south and from information gathered, they want to move with her. 19 is in her first year of college and hates the school and her intent is to go to school down there. Now let me add the 2 girls have had no discussion with us whatsoever, I am sure they are afraid of their fathers reaction, he will be extremely hurt. I am sort of in shock they are considering going and I am guessing they are waiting for their mothers house to sell (well house is actually her husbands) I have been anxious and upset. DH is a fabulous involved dad, never misses a sport function, helps with homework and is part of their daily life. My DH also has a 22 year old who is married w/ child and is disgusted their sisters would even consider going. We have always provided the main support, health insurance, they are on our cell phone plans, we had 19 on my car insurance until she turned 18 (I didn't want a car in my name sitting on a college campus so she registered car in her own name). We have had to chase child support for the most part from ex, She has never helped with college costs. I know I am rambling, and I could get into all sorts of other stuff but it is irrelevant anyways. If his DD do go, we will of course then have to pay child support for the almost 16 y/o, we will no longer be able to afford to help 19 y/o with college with this change in income. I have no idea how she has convinced them to go, and let's be honest, maybe they will get there and love it and think it's the best decision... BUT.. my main concern is do these 2 children have any idea how things will change? Have they wondered who will provide health insurance, we have for the last 10 years (I am unsure if they move if my policy will continue to cover them 5 states away? They are on my plan and I am the stepmom) What about their cell phone plans, what about education more importantly. We are not in any financial situation to pay child support, continue to pay medical insurance, we have been covering 19 y/o cell phone plan while at college AND help with college. Sooo.. so make this very long story shorter, aren't the children going to feel like we are "punishing" them when we say listen, it's your decision to move and who are we to say it's a good or bad decision but, we cannot keep the things the way they are now, if you move we will only be able to afford to pay child support, the extras will have to go. My DH work has been very slow as we all have been affected by the economy.

But more importantly, I am so hurt for my DH that they have sort of pulled back and ex has been painted this picture of how great it will be and they are going to uproot their life for what might be empty promises.

Dont get me wrong, I have no intent of stopping them or encouraging them to go. They would resent us if we tried to stop them and if we fought with them it would give them more reason to go.... I am just sitting here shaking my head. They could be making a huge decision or they could be so happy they went.

I should add that their grandparents (ex's wife parents) are going to go, along with ex wife's sister, so it obviously is a huge draw. They will be leaving their dad, a sister and a niece behind..

Ok. I know I have rambled long enough.. any thoughts? Will my insurance continue to cover them? Would you try to stop them? Or just wish them well, and tell them they are welcome back (which is my point of view).

Comments (13)