SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjbrown2210

how to like my BF's teenage son

sjbrown2210
11 years ago

I posted on this forum a long time ago when I was still coming to terms with the fact that my BF has kids. I've learned to accept that fact and I am dealing with it the best way I know how. Now that time has passed and the kids have gotten older (they're 15) I actually like them more than I thought I would. I have grown a bit closer to his daughter and I really appreciate that relationship, however small it might be.

My only problem is that I just can't seem to get closer to his son. He's really...annoying. I can't think of a nicer way to put it. I don't know how to get past the little things he does that drive me crazy. What drives me crazy, you ask? His son's voice sometimes grates on my nerves, he speaks on things about which he knows nothing, he repeats almost everything I say, which might be flattering if he didn't say it like he thought of it first.

To the people who will say that I am being a selfish bit*h, I understand that the kids come first. In fact I wouldn't be with my BF if he wasn't a good dad. This is not an "I can't deal with my the fact that my BF has kids" question. It's a "how can I learn to like my BF's teenage son so I don't have to put the idea of marriage on the back burner until the kids are grown" question.

I just want to learn to like him so we can all hang out together.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus