SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lostinil

Needing advise...

lostinil
14 years ago

I have been living with my BF for the last 4 years. A little over 16 months ago, his 27 year old daughter moved in with us along with her 28 year old bf.

They own their own house but had decided to completely renovate it to the point where it was not livable. They'd asked if they could stay for two weeks until they rented an apartment, but once they'd moved in, they said they couldn't afford to move out.

A couple of weeks after they moved in, we found out that she was pregnant.

They've never paid rent or helped out with any of the household bills.

While they were living with us, she decided to upgrade her vehicle so that she would have something nice before the baby was born. She ended up buying a year old SUV with $450/mo car payments.

She's never paid daycare because her mom watches the baby while she works.

The baby is now almost a year old and they haven't made any plans to leave. They haven't put any money into their home to finish the renovations nor have they worked on the house for months.

They were both working, but she just quite her job to go back to school. She's made comments which make it sound as if she's planning on staying with us for the next four years while she finishes school.

Her and I don't really get along. I love her and the baby, but we are both controlling people so there is always tension in the air. Another problem is that my BF doesn't want to cause conflict so he won't let me say anything to her even if there is something she's done that really bothers me.

They are slobs -- they cook dinner but never make enough for everyone and the kitchen looks like a disaster has struck each time they leave it. I'm a neat freak, so this has been something that has really bothered me since they moved in. They've taken over our living room, dining room, and kitchen -- plus, they have their own bedroom. We seem to barricade ourselves in our room whenever we're home because the rest of the house is a mess.

They don't contribute to the bills yet leave every light on throughout the day/night and will leave the door open when they go out of it. I made a comment to her that she may need to help with the electric bill if they don't start turning the lights off and shutting the door. She called her dad and he was upset with me for saying anything.

I make more money than he does and pay the majority of our household bills, so I felt that I had every right to say something.

His daughter is a manipulator likes to cause problems between her father and I. He doesn't see it -- he thinks she can do no wrong. I've talked with him repeated over the last year letting him know that I can't live like this for much longer. I've asked him to collect rent from them and we can save it up and give it to them so that they can finish renovating their house. They have saved nothing since staying with us. I've told him that I would pay their rent for a specified amount of time while they fit it into their budget. I've asked him to talk to her and set a time limit on how long they could stay -- 3 months, 6 months, etc.

He will do none of these things. He believes that she would see any of these things as kicking her out and he refuses to do that.

Like I said, she's been causing us to have a lot of fights lately...mainly because I'm so annoyed by what she doing and I can't say anything to her. It's caused a lot of tension and resentment between us, but I love him with all of my heart. I had hopes to spend the rest of my life with him.

Last week, I decided to move out. I've told him that I just can't do it anymore...that I love him and still want to be with him, but I can't live with them anymore.

I've felt as if the house is his and hers and not his and mine.

Now, I'm wondering if I did the right thing.

I am happier because I don't have to come home and be angry or annoyed by her, but I am miserable because him and I are no longer under the same roof.

He is trying to understand my perspective but is having a hard time. He is feeling rejected and abandoned.

I want to seek counseling, but am not sure if he's willing to do it.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation and if they did move out, did they make it work in the long run? I didn't want to give up on our relationship, but I'm afraid that I can't take back what I did by moving out. I had hoped that he would finally see that I really can't do this anymore and look seriously at one of the suggestions that I'd offered.

Comments (10)