SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattjohn1524

At a wits end with my stepdaughter

Mattjohn1524
12 years ago

Hey Everyone!

I am 30 years old and have been married for 6 years, and have two boys ages 5 and 2. I also have a stepdaughter who is 13. I am asking for some advice because I am to the point now where I want my stepdaughter out of the house.

To give everyone a history of whats going on, the trouble with my stepdaughter started when I got orders (military) to move from New York to Virginia. My wife and I had been married for a year and our first son was born. We moved to Virginia and have been here for 5 years. I got out of the Army in 2008, and work for the Army as a civilian now. We just bought our first home last summer in June! Anyways, My stepdaughter started resenting me when we moved here and blamed me for taking her away from her family (relatives). She has never met her father nor has he attempted to contact her at all, birthdays, christmas, nothing not even a phone call since she was born. I think some of that has to do with my wife. When we sat down and talked her about why we moved and that we would go visit my wife's family when we could. My wife takes about 5-6 trips a year to NY to visit her family and in the summer my stepdaughter stays up there till school starts. But that did not change her attitude about me. She refered me to her friends as the "dumb white guy" (my wife is Jamaican). The last two years have been pretty rough. She was continually do poor in class, getting in trouble bulling other kids and acting out. My wife feels guilty for leaving her with her mother while in college and was giving her anything she wants.

My wife and I are two different people. I was raised on a farm and had chores in and out of the house since I was 7. I was also raised old fashioned, respect, dont talk back, only speak when spoken too ect.... Anyways I am not as strict as my parents but I do set rules in my house. Well when I try to enforce them or tell her to do chores, I get told stop being so tough.

When we bought our house in June 2011 we thought it would be a fresh start for her and we even talked to her about it. She said ok, but in 2 months it went to crap. her bathroom is unbearable to walk into, I do not allow my boys to bathe in there. Her room is far much worse. When I told my wife she needed to enforce the rules, I get "I dont want to deal with her".

I have not allowed her to have a tv in her room for 2 years because she abused the rules and was failing classes so I had revoked that privilage. I also would not let her have a cellphone because we caught her taking innapropriate pics of herself. Anyways this past christmas my wifes mother gave her a tv and my wife gave her an ipod touch which allows her to text. well the last 2 weeks she has been late almost every day to school because she is up late at night watching tv and texting. (I work nights and dont get home till midnight). She also avoids me when we are all in the house to the point if we approach each other she will turn and go into another room so she doesnt run into me.

My wife says that this is just her being a teenager and she is growing up, before that it was she is adapting to changes, and even that I might be the problem, which she and her mother both suggested I change my ways. And I have to where I try to be more approachable and have more one on one conversations. I thought things were getting better till after christmas than she started back up again.

Today I went in her room to look for something and it was like walking into a tornado. Absolutly disgusting. Well I found some papers on the floor, To say the least I was shocked and hurt at what I read. She was writing some pretty mean and disturbing stuff about me and my new nickname is "it". she was also writing about how she would like to see me and my boys disappear and she and her mom would be left alone. I have not spoken to my wife about this yet and wants some advice.

Comments (14)