SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

Stepmoms with joint (or close to joint) custody

lovehadley
15 years ago

Do you have a period of adjustment when your stepchild(ren) comes back?

I don't really have anywhere else to say this but here. The first day or two that my SS is back with us after his long (5 day) stretches at his mom's, I find to be very stressful and emotionally draining. I actually find myself dreading his coming back. :(

I have such a difficulty adjusting to how I parent when it's just my DD with us versus how I am when my SS is with us, as well. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells when he's here.

I guess it is not really any different than the adjustment he must go through alternating between two homes. He is always a little *out of sorts* for the first day he's back with us...we have him Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun on our long stretches. Wed. can be kind of rough but by Thurs evening, things are usually much smoother.

I just don't know how to adjust myself. Everything (obviously) changes when SS is with us and I will just admit it---there are times I feel like my life is intruded upon. :( Before I get flamed, let me just say how much I HATE to even admit that. :( I don't LIKE feeling that way at all and I want to NOT feel that way. I KNOW it is not a kind or rational way to feel. I feel like a sh*tty person for even saying it.

I don't think I show this to my SS. I pray that I don't. :( My DH has never said anything about it to me so I don't think he picks up on it and I really have never talked to ANYONE about it before, save for my counselor.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I KNOW that he is NOT intruding upon my life....he is my DH's child...

But it's how I FEEL and no matter what I say to myself, that feeling comes and goes for me. If I could turn it off, I would. I don't know HOW to.

Has anyone felt like this before? What did you do, or say to yourself to improve the situation?

I am always fine after a day or two, and then the house actually seems kind of empty when he leaves for his mom's.

Ideas? Tips? Words of wisdom? TIA.

Comments (7)