SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nottootoo_gw

Can't get with the step-son

nottootoo
14 years ago

Hi, I am actually pleased to see I am not as alone as i thought i might be with this issue, although I am not as vicious as others are about their step-children I do still have a problem with one of them.

Let's face it, raising children is a serious challenge no matter what genetics are involved,but I have an issue with one in particular that I am having a hard time getting past.

My husband and I have 5 children in total. I had one child from a previous marriage, and my husband had 3, we together have a 2 year old. My husbands oldest is 13 and has been living with us for a year, it has worked out well and my 12 year old son is very close with him...both boys are great with the 2 year old. Every weekend we have the 10year old girl and the 7 year old boy over which brings me to my issue. I can handle the 10 year old even though it would be easier to help shape her if I had her more often, the 7 year old has been the one I can't get with. I have tried but I frankly do not like his personality. He isn't some hell child that is trying to destroy everything he touches, he is just a subtle quiet troublemaker. He manipulates, and has learned how with great talent, he is not motivated in school, he can't get along with the other siblings. They aren't screaming and yelling and fighting, they just don't want to be around him and if they talk to him it's a real shoo get outta here kinda thing. I have tried to parent him and connect with him, but it goes nowhere. He just doesn't care what I think, he doesn't say that, but his behavior does. His father is very active in his life and the child is always hungry for his attention but the 7 year olds appetite for attention is insatiable. You must remember we have 5 children one of them being a toddler so as you can imagine our time is very limited. I must also put out there that my husbands ex was notorious for adultery and frankly myself and husbands entire family believes the 7 year old is from another man. His appearance being nothing like his fathers and considering he just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of his family leads us all to suspicion which may have a subconscious element to play on my ability to get with him. I am trying very hard to contain my displeasure with him, I know he needs to have a relationship with his father that is positive and I really just try to stay out of the way, but I truly can't wait until he isn't on my to-do list! I need to find tools to help me get through the years ahead of us, to find a way to manage my displeasure with this child, and still support my husband as he is a wonderful supportive man for us all. I suppose I should be thankful our children aren't as treacherous as others I see on here, but my dislike for the child is there nevertheless.

Comments (17)