SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmommy

How would you approach this?

midwestmommy
15 years ago

I haven't posted in many months. However, in the past I have found some really good advise here.

My last post was discussing the possible abuse that SD was having happen to her at BM's house via her step dad (physical and verbal abuse). We reported this to her mother who ended up kicking the man out and social services was called to investigate. We were given the social workers number and called and talked to them just to make sure everything was ok at home.

Months later now, we find out that the step dad is back. BM has changed her work schedule so that he is not alone with the kids for more than 2 hours at any given time. I still do not feel comfortable with this, but who am I to tell this woman who she can and can't be married to.

Anyhow, just a recap on BM. She currently has 4 children with 3 different dads. The oldest boy is with dad #1, oldest daughter with dad #2, SD with dad #3 and then another child with dad #2. This puts SD in a really awkward position because not only is her home life unstable but now she is the oddball and has a different dad from her older sister and her younger sister who both have the same dads.

BM and the step dad lost their house to foreclosure in September. They have moved into a rental house and also moved in BM's dad to help pay for bills. Right now the current sleeping arrangements are 3 girls (sd included) in one bedroom, the oldest boy and BM's dad in another bed room and BM and step dad in the third.

This morning DH tells me that BM is preggo again, with baby #5. Aside from her lack of judgment, this has me thinking that SD is just going to get pushed even further to the side. SD is not doing well in school and BM does not have time to focus on helping her, not with 3 other kids and 1 more on the way. SD does not get to do any extra curricular activities like she used to when it was just 3 kids, and when we talk to her you can just hear how sad she is.

Not to mention that every single time we talk to SD on the phone her step dad follows her around to hear what she is saying. It is difficult to hold a conversation with her because you hear him yelling in the background and she gets distracted. He will follow her into the bathroom even! We have had to set up code words with her, so that if she is in trouble at home because of her step dad or if the kids are being hurt she can call us and let us know with out him realizing that she is telling us.

Ive talked to DH before about how I think SD may be happy living with us. We have a bedroom dedicated to just her, that is empty 3/4th of the year (when she isnt with us).

I want to talk to DH again about talking to BM about having SD live with us. Not right, but maybe a little over the summer and possibly for the next school year. I have no idea how we can even broach this subject with BM with out getting our heads bitten off. She is already paranoid that we want to take SD from her, but really we just want SD to have options and give them both the ability to make a good decision for SD be it if she stays with BM or comes and lives with us.

Comments (13)