SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asheni

boyfriend has 5 kids

asheni
15 years ago

I need advice! I've been seeing this 44 year old man for just under 5 years. He is the perfect man for me, except that he now has sole custody of 5 kids between the ages of 6 to 12 (he's divorced, she lost custody shortly after we had met five years ago). I've explained when the situation changed that I think it would be best for a few years that we maintain separate houses (we're within walking distance of each other) until his children are a little older and less needy of him. From my own experience, I didn't think it was wise to interject myself on a permanent basis (yet) into a new and already stressful situation. This close co-location was affording us balance and seemed feasible until we could look into moving in together when his kids had reached some independence. I am a 45 y.o. working single mom of one 13 y.o. girl.

Here's my dilema - this arrangement seemed quite suitable to him and so we've been doing this. Now he's met someone else who is a mother of 2 (12 & 14). Although not an assurance that she will undertake his situation, he's apparently now changed his mind about everything. Now that I am aware, I'm hurt by the betrayal, but I'm wondering too for the sake of closure: was I wrong to not move in with him and become this instant "substitute mother" to 5 that he now apparently wants? Bearing in mind that this used to be suitable to him, was it not wise to allow his kids the right to a more balanced environment until a time for us could happen? Am I wrong?

Comments (7)