SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byebyemind

Listening

byebyemind
15 years ago

I need help with my 9 year old. I feel like I have to repeat everything for him to listen. And it is so hard to keep my cool at times.

This morning I told him to go brush his teeth for instance. He just sat there. I repeated myself and he got up and went and grabbed some toy and started walking around. I repeated myself again and he finally went.

Last night I gave him clothes to hang up in his closet. They were already on hangers. I reminded him to push the other clothes in his closet over to give these clothes a space instead of cramming them in. When I went into his closet later to get out something for him to wear for school today he had crammed his clothes in. I had to fix them all and made him stand and watch me do it so he knew how.

Then this morning I was doing laundry before they went to school and I handed him one pair of pants to hang up. I reminded them of how he saw me hanging up clothes and told him to do it that way. He then said "maybe I will just put these on my closet floor". I looked at him and asked him why he would say something so rude. He said he was kidding and I told him it was not funny.

He just does not listen. Everyday when its time for homework he argues. Then he cries EVERYDAY! When he has a test to study for he whines the whole time we are studying. If I try to help the other kids with their homework right away he needs my help again. If I ask him to read something he tries to mumble the words instead until I am ready to scream!

I have tried complimenting him when he does good. I have taken away video games which he loved. I make him stay afterschool for homework help instead of coming straight home from school because he will not cry for them. He gets right to his homework! With repeating things I have tried to only say something once and wait for him to follow it. Rarely does that work!

Any ideas???????????

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH