SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whattodonow_gw

father too soft on kids, feels he needs to 'be there' for them

whattodonow
15 years ago

First time posting. Hope this will help me even if responses aren't what I want to hear. Married 15 years, just hubby and I. Now in last 1 1/2 years, I now have 19 sd, 24ss, and husband is "strongly" considering having 18ss stay with us. 24y ss won't launch, no motivation, I feel kids are Way too comfortable, why should they want to get on their own! 19yr sd almost 20, about to lose job, disrespectful to me at times, and 18y ss needs ged which I am helping with, he now has the GED book, but no follow through. The main problem I am dealing with is that I am constantly frustrated at the kids' bad habits, because I had a great upbringing. I work hard and grew up with standards for helping out around the house, picking up after myself and respecting others' belongings. The mom of these kids did what both my husband and I feel, a "less than good" job raising the kids. Now I've had really no "choice" but to agree to have the kids here with us. On one hand hubby says don't treat kids like children, but yet the kids are supposed to be here for "guidence and help?" How can we undo the terrible job the mom did? Slackers!Husband says he wants to "be there" for the kids. He doesn't want to be an absent father like he had. How can I get my husband to realize that kids, especially 18,19 and 24yr olds need STRONG guidence and rules? A father, yes, a friend, yes, but guidelines and rules and motivation to become a strong and indepenent adults! I don't want the 18y ss to now move in because it's releasing the mother totally of All responsibility (just because hubby says she hasn't done the best job in raising him). She's still his mom, and I already have the other 2 young adults 19 and 24y we should be helping to get their life together and launch!I'm bitter and feel trapped. I'm angry they are with us at all. We are having to rent a larger home, cannot save what we need to save, nor can we pay debt as needed, I'm scared for our future. Mother is off the hook. I feel like the badcop step mom. I want to support my husband, but he's just not tough enough on the kids. He plays too much with them. How to get 24y ss out and on his own? Do I insist 18y ss go back to his mom's after we help him get GED?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County