SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunny5478

Resent supporting my new husband

sunny5478
15 years ago

I could use some other people's feedback on how to see my situation. My husband pays so much spousal and child support that he barely has enough to live on. I pay 3/4 of our living expenses. So basically he's living off me, for the time being.

It won't always be this way. When the spousal ends, our incomes will be more equal. And to be fair, he provides health insurance for me and my kids, saves us a lot of money on home repairs, has a good job with a good retirement plan. And he's a really nice guy.

Of course he should take care of his kids. But what I resent is when his ex hounds him for extra money on top of what he pays, and he gives it. This special extra kid thing here, this special extra kid thing there. She doesn't work at all, just lives off what we send her. He wants the kids to see that he helps share in their extra costs. But it makes me irritated because it's basically my money he's sending them. His kids are superficially, coldly polite to me but don't like me thanks to their mom badmouthing us all the time. We never talk about her to them.

I feel like a bad person because I don't want to send their mom one nickel extra. But am I being selfish or would it be bad for my marriage to say no? Again, he doesn't even contribute enough to pay 1/3 of our living expenses.

I've thought about saying ok, whatever you spend on your kids, I get to side aside and equal amount from our budget for my kids. But in reality, we could not afford to do that because we spend so much on his with the support payments.

I am going crazy over this.

What do you all think?

Comments (32)