SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamom_gw

Question to BMs/Adult skids/SDs

lamom
15 years ago

This question is to the BMs/Adult skids/StepDads here,

We talk a lot about Stepmothers here but only a little about stepfathers. As a SM, I'm really interested in what the BMs and skids as well as stepdads have to say about this situation:

I have a close male friend who has been the stepfather for a girl who is now 18 and off at college. When my friend married BM the girl was 8. She lived with my friend and BM, attending private schools and enjoyed all of the other trappings of a comfortable life mostly on the income of the stepdad although the BM did work. BMs money went to help pay tuition, and extracurriculars for herself and her daughter while my friend, SD paid mortgages and most living expenses. Also the BD chipped in child support and for most of the time they worked pretty well as a 3 parent team. Before anyone here gets the wrong idea, I am related to the BM through marriage, generally like her, love her daughter, but the stepdad is a very close friend and among the players comes first to me.

The SD grew up and went away to college this year. Within months, the BM has followed suit, packed up and moved Back East (we are in LA.) Now, a lot of that has to do with the nature of their marriage but from the close outside looking in it sure looks like my friend, the stepdad, was used to get this girl through adolescence emotionally and financially.

What are his obligations, if any, now? He loves his SD, still loves BM but is spinning since he is now being told that he was never really "FAMILY" Just a stepdad. However, college life is expensive and although BM works she can't swing things on her own.

I would love to hear from the group what he should do or not do now. I think his is the male version of what many SMs go through. We are close so he seeks my counsel and I told him that I would ask here. Any thoughts?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio