SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caphillsm

Sorry in advance, this is gross

caphillsm
13 years ago

So, my SSs visit periodically, depending upon school schedules. Its not both together as much anymore, but more likely one at a time, which is fine. Oldest is 18 and youngest is 16. Here is my problem: they have their own private bathroom in our home. Each time they depart, the toilet seat appears as though it hasnt been down the entire time. That doesnt bother me so much, as I dont use that bathroom anyway. However, they seem to "miss" quite a bit, to the point that the outside of the bowl, and the FLOOR, need to be cleaned. Otherwise, I must say, they are very neat. They put all dishes in the dishwasher and even strip their beds before they leave to be washed. But the toilet thing has me infuriated. They share one bathroom with BM, and I am guessing that she doesn't seem to mind this sloppy behavior. I mean, couldnt they at least wipe up after themselves? I don't want to get graphic here, but its obvious that it took days to get that way. (Oh, there is a toilet brush next to each toilet in our home, as well as paper towels under each sink)

So last night I got pretty ticked off and told DH that "he needs to talk to them about toilet manners". He actually seemed shocked and a bit offended! I described, in detail, what I have been cleaning each time they depart. I simply repeated "you need to talk to them about this...its not acceptable".

He gave me the silent treatment for the remaineder of last night and today everything is fine. So my question is: did I do the right thing? Its better to have told DH than SSs myself, right? Is DH's reaction one of embarrassment? I am thinking it must have been, but I'm not sure what else I could have done.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz