SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverboat_gw

Meeting boyfriend's son...who speaks a different language to me!

riverboat
14 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice/moral support from anyone who may have been in a similar situation to me...

I'm British, but moved to Paris, France five months ago for various reasons. Just over two months ago I started dating a French man, (he's 35, I'm 27), and things have been going really really well since then.

He has a 4 year old son, who I'm going to be meeting for the first time tomorrow. I don't have any problems with the fact that my boyfriend has a son, in fact I think lots of the things that I like most about him are probably partly due to him being a father. And in normal circumstances, I don't think I'd feel this nervous about meeting his child...

*But*, the problem is, obviously the son speaks only French (being 4 years old and having grown up in France and all ;-) ) And while I speak some French, I'm far from fluent. My boyfriend is French but speaks fluent English, so 75% of the time when we're together we speak English. Obviously however, tomorrow when we're both with his son, the language du jour is going to be French, no two ways about it.

I feel that me not being able to *properly* speak or understand this little boy's language could really complicate the whole thing of meeting him and trying to build good communication with him...I'm really nervous that he'll say things to me that I don't understand (this is inevitable, as people are always saying things to me in French that I dont understand) and then I'll look really stupid when I can't respond. And I'm nervous that when he realises he can't converse with me in a "normal" way he'll just lose interest in me entirely or resent me being there.

I know my boyfriend will do everything he can to help things go well, but I can't help feeling really really nervous nonetheless.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or have any general words of advice? Anything would be appreciated here!

Comments (5)