Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mindfulness

Posted by yabber (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 7:34

I've been trying a lot of different things over the years to help me deal with the difficult situation we're in with the skids. I have feelings of anger and frustration, even despair when I see my SD12 slipping away from us.

It's hard to disengage but at the same time stay close and involved. Maybe the hardest thing I've ever tried to get my head around.

Last year I came across some information on mindfulness. It is really helping me so I thought I'd put it out here, why not?

The following is partly copied out of a book I bought which has a chapter in it about mindfulness.

Mindfulness stems from ancient Eastern practices but is now part of mainstream Western Psychology. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a cognitive behavioural therapy that places a major emphasis on developing mindfulness skills. ACT is very user-friendly. It doesn't require hours of meditation or anything like that, it's the practical version for the busy people so to speak.

Mindfulness enables you to reduce the influence of unhelpful thoughts and difficult feelings. Instead of fighting with your thoughts, or trying to get rid of them, you can learn to change your relationship with them. You can take all the power out of them, so that when they show up, they don't control you.

In my situation I can just feel anger boiling up when we get accused of stuff BM puts in the kids heads, or when they snub us when we come to watch their game (because of BM's pressure to choose sides), or when complete strangers (mostly mums of skids friends') give us the cold shoulder because of something they've been told about us, grrr. In all those moments, it's a challenge to keep a cool head isn't it?

But mostly, mostly it's the despair I feel when the skids start to display the same negative/ self destructive behavior as BM, it just breaks my heart. And being a good role model doesn't seem enough. I'm a do-er, I want to be more active then just showing them what we are about, it seems too passive. But I can't fix this for them, I can't make this better and it's just so hard to accept that.

I don't know if this is something that sounds as interesting to you guys as it does to me, there's a lot of info on the web about ACT and mindfulness. The book that I've got is very practical and a no-nonsense approach with simple exercises, it doesn't have to be complex.
I'm happy to scan the chapter for anyone who's interested, just shoot me an email at yabberu@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mindfulness

Haha like a lead balloon :-)
That's ok, it's not everyone's cuppa
We all do what we can, in our own way.

And having said that: I've decided to try CPS one more time. I'm going to preprare myself properly and take my time, and then I'll give it my best shot.

o
RE: Mindfulness

why are you trying CPS?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here