SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof5angels

Oh boy do I need some help here!

momof5angels
15 years ago

Hey all! The last few weeks have been SO hectic with work, travel and holidays! Hope everyone had a great holiday season!

Once again I am asking for some advice...Honestly you guys have SUCH great advice and I truly value every word of it. Can you guys help? Please?

The problem: My SS9 is possibly failing the 4th grade despite my helping him every night with his homework. The problem apparently is that he isn't bringing ALL of it home and sometimes loses it before getting it to the teachers...Now this is one thing I have ideas on that can improve the situation...but what is driving me batty (and now after a talk with the teachers, I find it is driving THEM batty as well) is that my SS9 will ignore you when asked a question about a responsibility. If I ask "Have you started your homework?" and he HASN'T, he won't answer. Instead he will look off into a blank stare at the wall. I've actually had to ask him questions about his homework, his chore (feeding the cats), whether he took a shower, etc OVER and OVER for more than 10 minutes at a time as he just stares off into space and many times even turns and just walks away. According to his teachers this is the same thing that he does in school. The teacher says "Take out your reading book" and he just stares off into space. She has to ask him many times and he just ignores her...We've had him tested for ADD two years ago due to the same kind of behavior but they didn't feel this was the problem as they noticed that his avoidance is selective to things he doesn't want to do. If you ask him about something fun or just normal he will answer right away. I've tried getting down on his level and looking right into his eyes. He just looks away again and goes into a blank stare...Does anyone else have an issue with this? If so what do you do? For a long time I thought it was only his Dad and I that he was doing this with...hearing that he is doing it in school numerous times daily is NOT good...Help!! Advice please?

Comments (19)