Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

Betty's backsplash progress

bettycbowen
14 years ago

I'm the slowest mosaic-er ever, but I'm so happy to have this section up!

Comments (10)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Looks great Betty! Sure love that smalti!!!! Thanks for posting your WIP pics!

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I've learned so much from youall's WIP.

Here is the part that one of you thought looked like a clear glass plate -- I'm seeing follow-ups via email that aren't showing here, for some reason, so sorry I forgot which of you it was.

I'm doing this on fiberglass mesh, and the walls are all done in greenboard. Was it slow who asked how I come up with the design? I'm making it up as a I go along, I just want the general look to be about movement and ribbons & wheels of color on a light blues-greens ground.

Wow, the picture is closer/bigger than I needed. But it's a glass blob that was the only thing on the island of Murano I could afford. The yellow tiles around it are very iridescent, & the rest are silver or mirror, hard to photograph. It is actually not disco-ball-sparkly in person, it just depends on the light.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!! This closeup shows how much more difficult I had imagined this must be. Your placement of the smalti is sooooooooo meticulous. Do you have a hammer and hardie? Your pieces fit so beautifully. Yes, it was I who asked the question re design. Good job. Yeah, I knew I'd responded, but didn't see my post.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Cool backsplash!!! Will this be grouted or not? Either way it's really nice.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

OMG !!!!!! I just love that !!!I wish I could let go with color.I am such a chicken .I do love when you guys do it .So coolllllllllll

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!! I too had posted something else but it got lost. I was just talking with Klinger/Cindy about her backsplash, and how to light it up to enjoy it at night, what lighting do you have?

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No it won't be grouted, the tiles are really close together and smalti is often not grouted.

calamity, you can see in the photo that my undercabinet lights don't go the whole way across. It looks, on the end of the light, like I might be able to connect a section of lighting. That would to even out the lighting.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! Just gorgeus!!!! What a great piece for art to brighten your morning with!!!! Probably makes the coffe taste even better!!!! LOL!!

• october17
    14 years ago

Wow that is beautiful!

I am not a mosiacer yet, so, all this time, watching your progress, I pictured you laying on the countertop placing tiles one by one!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

Betty, you go on and be as slow as you can CAUSE ITS TRUELY PAYING OFF! thats GORGEOUS!!!!!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County