Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

GOG totem is DoNe!

silvamae
14 years ago

Figured you might not click on the ''work in progress'' post so I'm making a new one. Finished it yesterday. Be sure and click on the pics to see a larger version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Comments (18)

• fiddlekate
    14 years ago

Oh... your totem is gorgeous! Love how colorful it is!!!
    And it's huge!!! Wonderful accomplishment!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Amazing and a of of work. You have outdone your self. It is beautiful in th e light of the sun.

Kat

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I love love love That and I don't like toms..I do love it!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

I have often thought of doing one, lots of work.
    For now, I'll just look at yours, stunning!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wish I could find enough glass pieces (large vases) that were flat-sided, then I would do another one. Not ready to do another round one right now, though, that was quite a challenge.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I think it is beautiful. I know it was a challenge, but you now have all of us looking for pieces...great job. I wish I had some of that glass, it is scrumptious!

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Silva...this reminds me of I Dream of Jeannie...lol. Very pretty piece! Did it take a long time to do? Was it very difficult? I've never done a bottle or container before but want to try one someday. The curved edges make it look kinda hard tho. Again, very lovely piece!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

addiesue, it wasn't really that hard to do. Just have to find the right pieces of glass, and it looks best if it's transparent (cathedral) glass or translucent glass, cause the point of the piece was to have the light shine through. I used GE silicone II for windows and doors for the adhesive which is not as easy to use as Weldbond. But I had some pieces of glass that were curved; they came from things like antique glass bowls, chandeliers, and blue liquor bottles, and I used those pieces in the really curvey areas. Grouting was easy, and gluing the four pieces together was also easy.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the way the light shines through it!!!! Just stunning, great job!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WhooHoo! Looks lovely!!! Now I really got to get my pineapple project done!!!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

that is REALLY beauitful Silvamae!!! I love it

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

AWESOME silvamae, I can just imagine how it must look IRL with the light shining it!! Great job,, i bet you'll bet a lot of compliments!!

• fldirt
    14 years ago

WOW! That is beautiful. Very, Very nice.

• mrsdutchy
    14 years ago

I love it!! So bright and cheerful, well done!! I'm so glad I've found this forum!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, mrsdutchy, I'm glad you found us too! This is a great place to visit; so much inspiration and good advice.

• kacram
    14 years ago

I LOVE it!

• calinromania
    14 years ago

me like it!
    hehehe
    i haven't done anything for the outdoors. is it different than the indoors?
    don't know what base, what glue what grout to use. i guess the glass tiles i have are OK.
    ???

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all! Yes, the outdoor stuff must be made differently. If I had not been working with transparent and translucent glass, I would have used thinset as an adhesive. However, since I wanted the light to shine through, I used GE Silicone II clear, for windows and doors, as the adhesive. I grouted with ordinary sanded grout. I sealed with Tile Lab grout sealer for both indoor and outdoor use. The thingie is holding up well (fingers crossed) and we have had a hard winter for this area. We've had several freezes and lots of rain and it still looks okay. I am happy with it and would like to do a larger one. Your glass tiles would be okay to use outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer