Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GOG totem is DoNe!

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 22:56

Figured you might not click on the ''work in progress'' post so I'm making a new one. Finished it yesterday. Be sure and click on the pics to see a larger version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GOG totem is DoNe!

Oh... your totem is gorgeous! Love how colorful it is!!!
And it's huge!!! Wonderful accomplishment!!!

o

Amazing and a of of work. You have outdone your self. It is beautiful in th e light of the sun.

Kat

o

I love love love That and I don't like toms..I do love it!

o

I have often thought of doing one, lots of work.
For now, I'll just look at yours, stunning!

o

I wish I could find enough glass pieces (large vases) that were flat-sided, then I would do another one. Not ready to do another round one right now, though, that was quite a challenge.

o

I think it is beautiful. I know it was a challenge, but you now have all of us looking for pieces...great job. I wish I had some of that glass, it is scrumptious!

o

Silva...this reminds me of I Dream of Jeannie...lol. Very pretty piece! Did it take a long time to do? Was it very difficult? I've never done a bottle or container before but want to try one someday. The curved edges make it look kinda hard tho. Again, very lovely piece!

o

addiesue, it wasn't really that hard to do. Just have to find the right pieces of glass, and it looks best if it's transparent (cathedral) glass or translucent glass, cause the point of the piece was to have the light shine through. I used GE silicone II for windows and doors for the adhesive which is not as easy to use as Weldbond. But I had some pieces of glass that were curved; they came from things like antique glass bowls, chandeliers, and blue liquor bottles, and I used those pieces in the really curvey areas. Grouting was easy, and gluing the four pieces together was also easy.

o

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the way the light shines through it!!!! Just stunning, great job!!

o

WhooHoo! Looks lovely!!! Now I really got to get my pineapple project done!!!

o

that is REALLY beauitful Silvamae!!! I love it

o

AWESOME silvamae, I can just imagine how it must look IRL with the light shining it!! Great job,, i bet you'll bet a lot of compliments!!

o

WOW! That is beautiful. Very, Very nice.

o

I love it!! So bright and cheerful, well done!! I'm so glad I've found this forum!

o

Hi, mrsdutchy, I'm glad you found us too! This is a great place to visit; so much inspiration and good advice.

o

I LOVE it!

o

me like it!
hehehe
i haven't done anything for the outdoors. is it different than the indoors?
don't know what base, what glue what grout to use. i guess the glass tiles i have are OK.
???

o

Thanks, y'all! Yes, the outdoor stuff must be made differently. If I had not been working with transparent and translucent glass, I would have used thinset as an adhesive. However, since I wanted the light to shine through, I used GE Silicone II clear, for windows and doors, as the adhesive. I grouted with ordinary sanded grout. I sealed with Tile Lab grout sealer for both indoor and outdoor use. The thingie is holding up well (fingers crossed) and we have had a hard winter for this area. We've had several freezes and lots of rain and it still looks okay. I am happy with it and would like to do a larger one. Your glass tiles would be okay to use outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here