Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First GOG mosaic, please help!

Posted by lvalle1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 16, 08 at 22:25

Hi I am making my first GOG mosaic window. I am even new to making mosaics, i have done a few small pieces though. Basically it is going to sit in a frame in my basement window. The window is 32 inches by 37 inches, but i am breaking it down to be 2 pieces split in the middle horizontally. I have a grape vine design at the top with a wine barrel, wine glasses, and wine bottle in the bottom half. All these main pieces are shapes that i cut and grinded. The background is textured clear glass tesserae.

My first Question is what glue should i use since this window will have light coming through it? I want it to dry clear obviously, but want something i can buy at Home Depot that wont be hard to work with or expensive (if possible).

What kind of grout should i get? Do i get this at a Home Depot too?

Any tips for when i grout on textured glass? Like with the clean up of it.

Tips for the best method of gluing and grouting?

Help please.....THANKS :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First GOG mosaic, please help!

You might look at this thread. The silicone you can get athome Depot, the others you can order online. Maryland mosaics carries them

I've also seen these two recommended ( but it hasn't been posted here)they can be found at local stores. I haven't tried either one of these

Polyseamseal the Tub & Tile Ultra in the Clear

DAP Kwik Seal Kitchen & Bath (clear)

Here is a link that might be useful: Linlees GOG glue test

o

Thanks for sending me that link! It was very helpful. I have also heard about Lexel? How is that? Looks like my best options for my indoor GOG window would be GE11?

I am on a bit if a timeline. Will i be able to grout after 24 hours of gluing with GE11?

o

Why are you using two pieces of glass. I see all kinds of problems doing it that way. You should be able to pick up some wellbond at a local stained glass hop or off the net. It dries crystal clear and doesnt ooze up through the gaps. I havent done a glass on glass yet but the one I am planning I wont grout. Ill just cut the glass to fit tightly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here