Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaglassic

another question about another adhesive......

seaglassic
15 years ago

I don't have a running list of different adhesives that are out there, for everyone to have given yea or nea, so gotta ask this one....

I got it at Lumberman's..

it's a clear tube...

Lexel from Sashco products

it's 5.0 oz and I found several photos of it, on google image and web information.

anyway, I've had company this past week...on an emergency basis...(mom got her son out of protective custody and needed a place to stay..ASAP)

they got here last Tuesday....

anyway, in the process of trying to entertain the boy, who's 14 and the mom, who's stressed to the max, I pulled out as much of my mosaic stash as the front room would hold...

oh, we've been having more fun than a truck load of monkeys (that's much more than a barrel)...lol

neither of them had even heard of making one's own mosaic or been around it...and I've been so complacent about getting anything done, we were an unlikely group to be getting involved in such fun...lol

I'm taking pictures of it all and as of now, I have 3 pieces done but need grout..one GOG vase, one teapot and one vase, mixed with both glass and dish pieces...

the boy made a bowl, with GOG...

the mom is still working on a GOG overlay...

her's is pretty intricate and I couldn't be more impressed..

it's a picture out of an artist instruction book, of 3 horses, under a wooden shed...lots of browns, grey, tan and some black.

she's smashing glass, to get more slivers, like for the manes of the horses and may use hemp or twine for the reins...bits are reminiscent of bama's cat piece....

it's very interesting...

anyway, what I started to say, was that this adhesive is what we've all 3 been using and it's nice and tacky, so there's no slipping around, it has leeway, so doesn't dry too fast and dries very, very clear...

from all I've read and from what I've found first hand, it's something that I intend to be buying much more of....

also, very low amount of fumes...nothing any of us had any complaints about....

any one else use it in the past, or now?

if not, I can surely recommend it....

Comments (4)

• texaswild
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS, SEA!!! What a wonderful thing you did for your selves. I'm so impressed. Sounds like your mom is a natural. I'll bet this won't be her last mosaic. Soooooooo anxious to see the pictures. I've heard of Lexel - reading about it on a couple other websites. Heard it's also expensive, yep - just Googled it, and it IS more expensive than GEII - $32ish for a four pack. If you like it, then I say use it. Said it's tougher than GEII. Hurry w/some WIP pictures.

• seaglassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I only need to get the pictures uploaded to snapfish...
    it's possible the bowl of the boy's is going to be not grouted...we don't know yet, cuz court is in an hour and a half..it'd be a fine bowl, as is.....
    I need to leave in a few minutes, to the juvenile court house...if his mom gets custody, they will be leaving for Oregon this afternoon.
    this girl/lady is the same age as my oldest daughter..eleven days apart and is the daughter of a friend of mine, that I've known for 40 years...
    my friend lives in Corpus Cristie and advised her to call me, when she was at the CPS office, here in town and needed a safe place, right then...man, expedited background checks and a visit from the case worker and CPS case worker, here at the house and my place was approved, right there on the spot...
    ( I swear, they must have had blinders on...lol cuz my place is filled to the rafters with art supplies and not a lot of space to do any square dancing, in my front room!!)
    that was last Monday..and here we are, 11 days later and the future is unknown for them but it's a new beginning, either way...
    Zach went through trama and I watched a transformation, while he worked on his glass piece..

here, on this forum, we all talk about how doing mosaics is a healing process..

Zach got a broken finger, when he blocked a blow to the head, when his dad was beating him up...

the dad had also taken everything important to Zach, including little clay pieces he had made, from first grade on...the kind made in the classroom, with clay, glaze and firings...all of his favorite games, his laptop (I think I mentioned he's 14 and is a very sensitive boy)and made Zach ride with him to the landfill...then threw all of his belongings in the dump and said he would have to work to pay for the trip to throw it all away...
    it was a cruel and needless assault on Zach, both physically and emotionally....

This week's journey helped him take something broken, both from himself and other things and make something beautiful from it....
    he first walked in the house with a rather empty look in his eyes..
    this morning he's full of hope...
    I only wish and pray the judge sees the same thing....

I have his bowl and some of my projects, in a display case right now, with an overhead light and it's so pretty...

it's a 6 hour drive to where she lives and we've already been talking about her coming up to visit friends and an aunt, or me driving there for a couple days..but not in winter...I would take grout with me...lol

the lexel is in a tube just like the GE11 and is 5 oz...it was under $5...I think it was like $4.85 or so....
    it's a lot cheaper if it can be found in a 12 pack but then again, I'm not going to do that...lol
    it's gone a very long way, with just the 5 oz...

the number on the tube is 13013, evidently to be sure which one it is, between clear or white or something...
    at least that's what I noticed, ....it's on the bar code and this one says 31525 13013
    super elastic sealant
    it also says it sticks to wet surfaces...guess that would be in an emergency, to maybe fix an aquarium...??

I'd better be going now, to get to the court house...

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Yes want to see pix. You are doing a fine thing helping this broken family through the beauty and healing properties of making mosaics!! I do believe somehow the process of cutting or breaking tile and then making something beautiful is therapeutic for the soul and body.

I have used lexile, in fact just bought another tube. Used it with Sir Wiggle and it's holding up well outside, plus the smell isn't as bad as silicone.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Lexel is supposed to be great for GOG

Sponsored