Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Cross

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 19:53

I want to make my father a cross for Christmas but I wanted it to be small and unique so I'm making my own substrate from Apoxie sculpt I rolled out 3 thin layers and cut the shapes out with a wallpaper blade. I cut a keyhole hanger into the 1st 2 layers and then layed on the last.

despite that I have learned it would be best to wait to move these around because they stretch - I wanted to take advantage of their stickiest stage to "weld" them all together as one piece.... it wasn't too hard to re trim and fix some afterwards.

to illustrate the stretching aspect the top most layer began to sag into the keyhole below and I had to turn it over and stuff some wads of paper in there to support and hold it open.

making a cross

This post was edited by nicethyme on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Cross

Can't wait to see it!

o

oh hahah DOH I forgot to add the picture - ooooh edit feature - how I love you!!!!!!! thank you gardenweb!!!!! lol

This post was edited by nicethyme on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:08

o

Well you l'il heifer! That is a WONDERFUL design. I'll be so anxious to see how you mosaic it. Re the welding capabilities of the Apoxie, that was what was so impressive to me when I watched the video. You can stick tess into it while making the bezels and not have to glue or grout. Thanks for sharing tips. I'm wondering if I'll EVER find time to order and play with it. Have another commission on the horizon - a Medicine Wheel.

o

Oooo, I've GOT to have some of that stuff. Maybe after Christmas . . . Love the cross and Slow, a Medicine Wheel? Fascinating -

o

yeah,what is a medicine wheel?????

ok, don't know if this even counts as a mosaic but hey didn't we all start out with a half marble covered bowling ball!! LOL

I decided to go all "Vatican ritzy" on this just cause I love red and gold. I stuck the globs to foil before gluing them on and created an Apoxie setting for each one. did an under painting in red for that traditional gold look

undercoat color and decorated

then it was gold paint, mica and gold rub and buff

Cross finished

o

It looks like an ancient and priceless treasure brought up from the bottom of the sea -- or found in a catacomb - the design is beautiful. I love it.

o

Absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE the settings you created, and I sooooooo love red and gold too. Beautifully, and creatively done. You always come up w/things I'd never think of. Your Dad w/love this.

o

Cool!! I sure do like that cross.

o

well like all things - I came up with another idea while I was making the 1st one so I made this one too

blue and gold cross

that one started out all one level and I added to layers of glass to get the same art deco style as the 1st one

This post was edited by nicethyme on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 18:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here