Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireinchicago

Ring saw for cutting plates

claireinchicago
14 years ago

Hi ladies,

I have read through all the forums discussing ring saws, wet saws, nippers, etc for getting the best use out of old china plates. But I still have one question that I haven't seen come up, and that is - the edge of a plate is curved upwards, so a piece of it would not sit completely flat on the table of the ring saw. Does this cause any problems or does the saw still cut through it ok? The sales rep at Taurus said I should flip the piece over, but I was like dude, I need to see the decorative side because I would be cutting around a specific part of the pattern. Once she understood, she wasn't sure if it would work. SIGH!!!! I am saving up for some kind of saw but I need to know if it's going to do the job I need it to do. Besides plates, I have been collecting china cups and sugar bowls - these are very curved so I don't know how I could use them. Not a fan of random smashing. :) Also, does anyone have advice on what type of bit/drill would put a nice hole through my finished pieces, and if there is a limit on how close to the edge I can drill without breakage? Regarding glass cutting on the ring saw, how thick of a piece can it handle? Surely there is a limit, although the videos make it look freaking awesome and capable of anything!!! Thank you, I am jumping out of my skin waiting to get started on all the projects I have planned...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen