Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - Hey, Nanaimo girls!

Posted by rosemarythyme (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 07 at 19:31

Look what today's Foodnetwork cookie is! Hummmmm, photo didn't copy w/recipe. Looks DEE-LISH!

Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bar (Canada) From Food Network Kitchens

There are a number of stories as to where this cookie came from. It's thought to be native to Nanaimo, British Columbia (hence the name), and it gained widespread popularity in the 1950s. Whatever its origins, we loved it. We added the twist of peanut butter to make a simple, delicious, no-bake bar cookie that's super kid-friendly and freezes well.

Cookie:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 large egg, beaten
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
Peanut Butter Filling:
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Chocolate Glaze:
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan or casserole with aluminum foil, with long flaps hanging over each edge.
For the cookie: Put the butter in a heatproof medium bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with an inch or so of water to a very slow simmer over medium-low heat. Set the bowl over, but not touching, the water. Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and cocoa, and stir to combine. Add the egg and cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, until warm to the touch and slightly thickened (it should be about the consistency of hot fudge), about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in graham crumbs, coconut and nuts. Press the dough firmly into the prepared pan. (Save the pan of water for melting the chocolate.)

For the filling: Beat the butter, peanut butter and confectioners' sugar together in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light. Spread over the cookie and freeze while you prepare the chocolate glaze.

For the glaze: Put the chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl, and set over the barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. (Alternatively, put the chocolate and butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt at 50 percent power in the microwave until soft, about 1 minute. Stir, and continue to heat until completely melted, about 1 minute more.). When cool but still runny, pour the chocolate layer over the chilled peanut butter layer and carefully smooth out with an offset spatula. Freeze 30 minutes.

To serve, remove from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Pull out of the pan using the foil flaps and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares with a sharp knife. Serve cool or at room temperature.

Busy baker's tips: Finished bars can be wrapped in the pan in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and frozen for up to 1 month.

Copyright (c) 2007 Television Food Network, G.P.,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - Hey, Nanaimo girls!

Want my address to send me some Rosie?? !!!! :)

o

Born and raised on that bar!lol!

o
Yummy!

Here's a pic to droooool over...

Here is a link that might be useful: Nanaimo Bar

o

Ain't never heard of 'em. That's some of that FORIEGN food.

o

They are super yummy, and I highly recomend them. I make the non peanut butter type, and they are great,
Cindy

o

I looked at a recipe for the non-peanut butter type. It calls for "custard powder" What the heck is that? Is it like instant pudding?

o

ok, I'm gaining weight just looking at it

Maria

o

Hah, Bama, that must be the same recipe I use. The custard powder comes in a small round tin, I think I buy it in the same area as puddings. I only use it for nanaimo bars, so it lasts a long time. I have to confess I had a piece of one for my snack tonite, ummmmmh super rich and yummmy,
Cindy

o

In some ways I'm kinda glad I'm gluten intolerant.
Keeps me from eating those extra calories this time of year.
Those look/sound too delicious.
Peanut butter chocolate fan here.
And to keep it on forum topic: I wonder if you can 'mosaic' with them?

o

A funny thing... I knew there was a thread in here addressed to the Nanaimo girls, but hadn't looked at it, and I came in here this morning to use the thread to share this recipe. Looked at the thread, and lo and behold that's what it's here for :) I'm gonna make these for sure, of all the FN's cookie recipes I've gotten so far (this one is Day Ten of their Twelve Days of Cookies.

Love you Nanaimo girls! Wish I'd known of you when I was IN Nanaimo ten years ago!

Roni

o

Awww, Roni, you are so sweet!
BAMA: I'm a die hard for stickin' to the plain jane "normal" Nanaimo Bar, ain't right ta go messing with perfection, like adding peanut butter!! (I wouldn't watch that new Star Trek Nex Generation, for the longest time either!)lol!

o

I'm gonna make 'em without pnb. I'm not crazy about it, and since they said they ADDed it, I'm gonna SUBTRACT it. So do you make the genuine article come with the chocolate glaze?

o

Roni, this is a recipe I'm gonna try since I'm not overly fond of PB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nanaimo Bars

o

Too many carbs for me - guess I'll just have to lick the screen ~~ LOL

o

This is the first time I've visited here, saw this thread and as I was born and raised in Nanaimo thought you might be interested in the recipe Nanaimo has chosen for the official Nanaimo Bar Recipe. Most of us use Bird's Custard powder for this recipe it comes in a can.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: Nanaimo Bars

o

Whoo Hoo another Born and Raised Nanaimoite!!! YEEHAA!!!! I met Klinger here at a Tim Hortons and we've been good buddies ever since, so do you go thrift storing?

o

Hi Calamity, I'm a golden oldie, probably couldn't keep up with you guys. I just came across this post by chance, I'm into gardening, aka... playing in the dirt when weather allows.

A......

o

Aftermidnight,a few of us are golden oldies....close to 70 anyway...never too old to play with us...welcome!

o

LOL, I am 70, I've always had a love for colored glass but have never dabbled in the art of stained glass or mosaic pieces. I hope you guys don't mind me lurking around admiring all of your handiwork and asking a few questions. You never know maybe there will be a new interest developing here, my motto is never say never.

A......

o

If you ever want to hang out with me just email me and I'd be more than happy to show you an afternoon of mosaic play!!!

o

Thanks for the invitation Calamity, if the bug bites I'll send you an email :o)

A......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here