Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi Everyone

Posted by carolann_z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 16, 08 at 19:13

Hi everyone, I haven't been on the mosaic forum for a while and really miss all of you. My husband had open heart surgery so I had to put everything on hold. I'm so happy to say he's fine now. God really watched over him.
I am really wanting to start a project and would appreciate your help. I want to do a project inside but it will be for outdoors. I bought a tube of Mapei premixed adhesive and grout at Lowes and was wondering if this is a good product for mosaics that will be outdoors.

I also have E6000 but I think that may need to be used in a ventilated area. I would use thinset but I'm thinking it would be too messy.
Carol Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi Everyone

Get the thinset - not any messier than the pre-mixed which WON'T WORK OUTSIDE. I KNOW - it's easy to use, but it's not for exterior work. The Mapei Ultra Flex II is what I use for adhesive AND grout for durability outside. Welcome back, and so glad that your DH is OK.

o

Thanks slowmedown. It's so nice of you to take time to give me advice. I am anxious to do a project. I've never been one for cold weather or staying indoors.

My daughter is due to have a baby any day so I will have to help her but will start a project as soon as I get home.

Mosaics are a sure way to cure cabin fever.

o

Welcome back!

I'm glad you asked that question, as I was going to need a refresher on that too! Welcome back and we're so happy to hear that your DH is doing well!

o

Hi Carolann,
So glad that your hubby is better! And you're going to have a grandbaby! What a blessing! :)
I haven't doing much for outside. But have some stepping stones in mind.... will use Slow's suggestion, too.

o

Carolann, glad hubs is doing better. And congrats on new GB. Might want to go with GEII also for outside. I'd rather be outside too, but weather keeps me in. Happy mosaicing.

Kathy

o

What great news you bring and it's so good to hear from a member who has been absent!!! I have used thinset, mixed up in those individual yogurt containers, just so I could work for 1/2hr and then go do something else. It is so easy to clean up that way too! I use a popcycle stick.

o

Thanks, you guys are the best. I don't have time to do a project yet. I bought some pretty tile in her town and smashed up some plates. I'm all ready to go.

Calamity, I like your idea of thinset in yogurt containers. I could buy white thinset and use it for grouting too.

o

What were you going to use for a base to put the pottery on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here