Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

Virginia Winter, wip

nicethyme
15 years ago

I'm trying to depict a cow scene in the golden hills. But I don't have much glass so I decided to paint it and use clears over most of it.

Comments (27)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

heres my cows

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That will look good and fun

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Here goes the little multi-talented artist again - another interesting, unique idea, and WELL DONE project beginning. When did you start painting? That was once my every-day hobby. Wish I could do it all, cuz I DID love painting w/oils. This is gonna be a fuuuuuuuun thread to watch.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

when did I start painting? yesterday! lol

• klinger
    15 years ago

Very cool, I love this idea, opens up the doors to all kinds of stuff,
    Cindy

• cacbeary
    15 years ago

Love the cows! What are the cows made of, are they polyclay cows! Mooooolucious!

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Yesterday?! I can't even draw a circle without help! Great looking project. Can't wait to see more.

I love the creativeness from this place. Everyday, new ideas are brought forth. Way to go!

becky

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Little moo-moos are so cute!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL good morning everyone! I told Cac at another forum but just to answer it in everyone's minds - these are stained glass cows.

I used TG on the trees and an extra thin glass on the sky and mountains - can't resist a deminsional element I guess. I'm going to switch to 1/8th" clear glass for the rest - just as soon as I figure out the opus to use... ?

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

That is really cool! I love the idea of painting and covering it with tg, must try it someday. I love the little cows, so cute!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I added a stone wall today

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

This is really cool, very creative! I love the cows, how did you cut them so tiny??? And I like the stone wall alot!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Yes, this is very cool! Love the new stone wall...can't wait to see what you do next!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Lookin' Good Nice!!! It's so new and out of the box for this forum!! Way to go...inspiring!!! (From a gal that STILL is amazed by your DD's door!!!)heh heh!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you guys! I finished glassing this morning and I think I'm going to go grout soon - Mac glue is so fast!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

That's one of the (many) things I really like about the MAC...you don't have to wait days before you can grout. Looking forward to seeing this grouted...it's already so pretty!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Lookin' Good! This is only 8x10? Love it!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, its 6.75" sq

I finished grouting it last night and remade an old frame to fit it.

I added a bit of beasing wire between the posts in the upper field

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

You are so Amazing!!! Thanks for the close up, it blows me away, the way you use that saw of yours!!! Did you check out the thread that Barrell put on for the TITAN??!!! I like the painted grout too! And now I have a New Yrs Res...to try using different Opus! I have 2 projects in mind and will start the new opus on them!!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Hey, just came back for another look and what did I spot???!!! The ball chain on the frame!!! WOW!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah the ball chain was my way to distract you from the chitty miter cuts on the frame! lol

thanks for all the great comments, I really learned with this one about tess sizing and how andamento affects the depth of a scene...

• texaswild
    15 years ago

If you don't beat all! You l'il artist, you!!! Your talent knows no bounds. Absolutely wonderful. Are you keeping this one?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Jane and Slow. Yep its on my wall right now, I love this one - the subject of cows in the winter fields is something I love seeing as I drive the county... Angus is the popular breed here and those herds of black cows are indescribably detailed even at very distant views in the hills... thats why I had to make my cows as small as I could - to get that same feeling of detail at distance

here's my final pic, I think its the best for lighting so far

Jane, this was definately a study in andamento use for me and I too am trying to learn to use it by studying other artists' works. I also got one of Martin Cheek's books and he is all about andamento. This book actually makes me think of you because it features a fabulous smalti peacock on the front cover

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I'm still catching up and WOW!
    This is inspiration plus! I need all the inspiration I can get. Somehow one of the kids or grandkids managed to delete all my art and art inspiration photos from my computer!
    This is totally wonderful.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Wow what a piece of art. Love the frame, the colors in the pic, different grout colors. The whole thing is wonderful. You should be proud.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Here is what I found when Ilooked up this guy you mentioned!!! I'm in heaven!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Martin Cheek

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought you'd like his stuff, he began as an animator before computer animation made his work obsolete. He does some cool stuff and I think Debsie took his workshop at SAMA last year.