Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Jeannie's Christmas Crazy Quilt Bohemian Style

texaswild
11 years ago

Just HAD to mosaic it - w/a flower shower. I should have started this LAST Christmas. Didn't start in time to do fancy stitches, so just used the same stitch in white over all the seams. Just couldn't stop there, so tacked on the flowers. My Bohemian decorating style has to come out now and then.
Jeannie's Crazy Quilt

Comments (20)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention that I justify posting here cuz I consider this a mosaic of cloth/flowers.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

oooh I justify it by it being AWESOME!!! wow that is amazing

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes o yes !!!!I love it .I used to do that a long time ago.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Lucky Jeannie! That is beautiful. No wonder you're tired! That is fantas-ma-gorgeous.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many thanks, GW friends. This project really beat me up. Arthritic fingers can't use a thimble anymore - can't bend my thimble finger. Lord help me if I ever try to do another quilting project. I'll start a year early.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

I've been trying to teach myself to machine sew/ quilt.

I've had a fancy machine for 12 years and am just now conquering threading the dang thing and playing around... I'll post on the conversation side though cause the won't rate as mosaics like this mind blowing quilt.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Be careful, NT - it's another addiction. Used to make all my own clothes and those of my two DDs. Then went to painting in oil, then to quilting. I was never w/o a hand-sewing quilt project - dr's office, airplane trips, waiting for my DH - whatever - every spare minute found me hand quilting. I've just recently given all (many) the hand-stitched quilt tops to my Dallas DD who can afford to have them hand quilted. When I researched the subject, some quilters wanted up to $1,000 to hand quilt a double. Not in my budget. I just can't see machine quilting on a hand-stitched quilt. Call me old fashioned. It was an obsession, and I still w/love to quilt, but hands won't permit it.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

lol I grew up going over to gramma's where all her friends, and my aunts sat around the huge room sized frame doing all the hand stitches... most of those women wore the bonnet and long plain dresses of Mennonite faith. Its faded like an old photo in my memory.

My problem with sewing will always be my perpetual issue, I can't measure anything correctly and have never cut a straight line in my life. I have hopes of making clothes one day but I'm not sure they will ever be anything worth wearing

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I remember sitting under that quilting frame in my grandmother's house too - w/all the ladies chatting as they sewed. They even let me put in some stitches. I'm sure that when I wasn't looking they took them out, but those experiences are golden aren't they? Don't fret about measuring so perfectly. There's wonderful quilting tools nowadays that help you cut your shapes, leaving that 1/4" sewing line. Even though you strive for perfection, cloth is a bit forgiving. I could never do it by machine, but could manage it by hand, and produced many finished quilts. It's a wonderful hobby - give it a try.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

thanks for the encouragement! mmmm you are good at passing around these addictions aren't cha? LOL

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Umm, thanks? Slow. I am now going to veer off the mosaic path and try freehand Bohemian style quilting right after the holidays. I have been saving old tee shirts for several years now, secreting them in little hidey holes, hoping the rest of the family doesn't find them and go "What the heck? Time for an intervention." What this lady recommended to me was to get this iron-on stuff at fabric store that is soft and iron it on behind the logo or scene on the shirt, then trim out the square, and quilt. This wouldn't be sports tee shirts, rather, pretty ones or funky ones, some of which belonged to my granddaughters and some I found at thrift shops. Some of them have beads. I'm excited!! I will do it all by hand, the piecing and the quilting, and all cotton, with cotton quilting thread. Thoughts?

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

ahah, hiding your stash? lol keep us posted on this with WIP pics cause you have really peaked my interest.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've had lots of addictions, but mosaics ate them all up. SILVA: What a grand idea. I've seen t-shirt quilts, jeans quilts - lots of possibilities. I can't wait to see your beginning WIP on yours. Just think of the "mosaics" - read embellishments - you could put into it. Oh my goodness - you have my mind racing. You could use the quilt-as-you-go technique too. You could also use the raw-edge showing technique - meaning you could sew wrong sides together, leaving the raw edges around each square. Now y'all and Jeannie's quilt have gotten me thinking quilting again. It was just as strong an obsession as mosaics. If I picked up a quilt block tomorrow, I'd be off and running on it again. Don't EVEN get me started, SILVA. Go for it and let us enjoy the ride. Do we have to post that on the conversation side? I'll just bet there's a quilting forum on GW.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I love it when we bounce ideas off each other. I really like the idea of the raw-edge showing technique -- I've always liked the look of it, and I'm thinking it would be easier (more forgiving). I do believe I will try that. Thank you!!

• loribee2
    11 years ago

SLOW you never cease to amaze me. I had gone through a quilt phase about 17 years ago when me and all my friends were having babies. I'm LOLing at your connection to mosaics. You're right. They're very much the same!

Yours is absolutely beautiful!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many thanks, LORI. When we exchanged gifts day b/f yesterday, she said she got dizzy w/pleasure at looking at the quilt. She continues to call and thank me - said Bill, her DH was soooo complimentary too. Does the heart good to get feedback like that.

• phish_gw
    11 years ago

I can't believe you can do beatiful quilts in addition to your mosaic work!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, PHIHS: I've had many very addictive hobbies b/f I learned to mosaic. Sometimes I w/love to go back to painting w/oils, but mosaic is such a pull on me that I can't seem to leave it.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Super Lovely!!! I was wearing my apron you made me, at the Church dinner we put on to feed the neighborhood(usually get 400+)and had a TON of compliments!!! I only wear it on special occasions, like I had an Open house/garden tour for the Horticultural Society and showed it off then too...with plenty of compliments!!!Slow also made me an amazing purse!!! I love it! It is the kind of purse that makes me take it up a notch...can't dress Plain Jane when you have a Razzle Dazzle purse to carry!!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My humble thanks, girlie.