Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klinger_gw

wip, new backsplash, and grout suggestions please

klinger
15 years ago

I've finally got all the mosaicing done for my new backsplash.

I used some slate tiles for the top and bottom of my backsplash and wanted to do a band of color all around the kitchen, and a tree of life mosaic for over the range area.The slate tiles are attached. All the glass mosaic is attached to thin strips of wood, they'll be glued and screwed on between the slate, then I'll grout it all.I used all oceana glass I got from an ebay seller last year. I love all the colors in it. Also used some millefiore for the tree of life area, and some little silver ducks. There's some silver beads, dichroic gems and glass globs in with the oceana strip area.I am a bit stuck on the grout though. I thought a tan color would be a little lighter than the slate and would be fairly neuteral for the glass strip. I've actually bought some. Now I'm second guessing myself that charcoal would look fine with the slate, and would make the glass strip really pop. My concern though is that maybe the charcoal will make it all look to busy.Here's some pics,

{{!gwi}}
This is a close up pic of the tree of life,

{{!gwi}}
A look at the panel which will go behind my range area,

{{!gwi}}
a close up of the color strip

{{!gwi}}
A look at the strip in place with the slate tiles and my new dark counter.

Do you think a tannish color would keep it less busy and make the color strip seem a bit brighter?, or do you think charcoal would be better? Or some other color. I hope to get more of this done soon if I remain snowed in, otherwise it may not get grouted for a few weeks,

Merry Christmas,

Cindy

Comments (21)

• barrell
    15 years ago

I always like to have the grout match the counter but the counter is very dark and you already grouted the mosaics with a light color.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Oh Cindy this is going to be georgeous when you get done. Imo I would prob go with the charcoal. I have looked and looked at it and I think you would lose your colors with the tan. The charcoal would make your colors pop. Good luck with you final choice. You have done a great job. I love the mixture of colors.

Kathy

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy I think you're right, the tan will make everything blah. I'm leaning towards the charcoal.
    Barrell, I've not grouted the lighter color strip yet. They're mounted on a thin piece of board to bring them out to the same height as the tiles when they're on the wall. It also makes it a lot easier to do laying flat than on a wall,
    Cindy

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

The only thing that would worry me about the charcoal is the tree-do you think it would drown in the charcoal? you could do a little test. for the rest of it-oh yes, charcoal.
    Its absolutely beautiful! Id be very proud!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow! Is this every amazing or what? It's beautiful! I'm a big fan of charcoal...that's what I would do. Looking foward to seeing it finished. Merry Christmas to you too!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

ahhhh geez! its incredible and quite a bit on the other side of the scale from your last backsplash hey? love the design and colors! stunning

but I think Charcoal might make it all too dark - but uh do it anyway because I've been know to be wrong! lol

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH KLINGER, You Lil Heifer!!! L.O.V.E. IT! Charcoal...def...Charcoal! It's amazing that you and Betty seem to be on the same page with this!lol! Love the added millifiore and ducks!!! Can hardly wait to see this puppy grouted!!! What a beaut it will be...maybe you need some help with that groutin'!?! I'll just get out my mosaiced dog sled and be right over!!! MUSH!!!

• cait1
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Love the Tree of Life design. And the oceanna glass is gorgeous stuff. Bought some myself from that ebay seller. And yes, charcoal grout.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, my - it IS quite different than the last house's mosaic. It's pretty as can be, and I LOVE that black border - dots and dashes. I vote for charcoal.

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, for all the help with the color and the compliments.This is very different than my last backsplash, it was a more "fun" one. I wanted to do a bit more subdued one for this house. I am such a grout wussy, always worry it'll be the wrong choice.The counter and backsplash area are a bit dark now and I think the color strip will pop more with the charcoal. I wondered about using the tan for the slate and charcoal for the mosaic part. Jane I'd love grouting help, it's my least favorite thing to do . There's lots of natural and artificial light in this kitchen so it won't look to dark no matter what I do.
    Cindy

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Very beautiful!! I don't know about the grout color, though I think your two color suggestion might do the trick

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Gosh. It's really nice! I love the colors! Have you tried laying it out on that site that lets you enter your mosaic colors and then add different colors of grout? I HAD it in my files, but can't find it right now. I'll keep looking, and maybe someone else has it and will send it here!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

is there any way you might consider a color that's close to the warm colors of the tiles?...like, similar to one of the lighter tiles, along the mosaiced panels..?
    tan, cinnamon, beige, cream,chestnut, maple, caramel, pecan, just a warm color, to compliment the combination?..

Becky ;(*_*);

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Klinger... your backsplash colors are wonderful! It's just going to be gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see it finished!

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Morning everyone, Daisyme, I forgot about that website, that might be a good thing for me.
    Becky, I like your idea too. The grout I actually picked up to use would have been right in that color family and then I started second guessing myself.
    Happy Holidays everyone,
    Cindy

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Klinger, I LOVE the colors of your blacksplash, specially the tree of life, and then I see that gorgeous oceana glass in the greens adn reds, and blue for that matter. Have no clue on the grout, other than doing a small test and looking at the site Daisy gave you.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and keep sending us pix of what you choose!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Oh this is looking awesome Klinger! The tree of life for over the range is beautiful, love the glass colors too, can't wait to see it done!

• october17
    15 years ago

My total inexperience will probably show here - I'm dying to try mosaics. Just bought some little things today I'm going to start on.

Anyway - do you have to use only one color for grout? Can you do one color, wait for it to dry/cure whatever it's called. Then proceed on down with another color? Or, I guess that could be expensive, huh?

I love love love your backsplash. Especially the tree!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

October, I did a mosaic snowbird with 3 different colors of grout!!! I just masking taped off the parts as I went. Another way of doing it, is to use white grout and paint wash it the colors you want. I have also done that too.

• susanpn
    15 years ago

I just peeked to see what this forum was about, and OMG I am going to be hooked! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your color band and tree of life and even the brick background!! I also would like to throw out an idea if it's not too late and you still haven't grouted -- usually I can visualize what would look right for grout, but not this time! So I am wondering, if you take a photo of it and then photocopy it in color and make 2 (or more) copies, then you could use crayons to approximate the grout color and see how each looks. I can see both the charcoal and the light color working but with very different effects, and if it were me I would do that and get out my Crayolas! Like your very own coloring book...
    Good luck and I will be checking back to see how this looks when you finish. It's so unique and fun and very cool and I am inspired! (we're building a new house and I am determined to have some crafty fun with it!)
    Thanks for sharing your work!

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks susanpn, I hope to grout next week. Just been working too much lately to tackle it. I'm thinking I'll glue a few pieces on a board and do an experiment on the board to see what will be the best.
    Cindy

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor