Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drtdgr

SAMA conference 2013

drtdgr
11 years ago

Is anyone else going? I wouldn't normally because of the expense, but gosh, it's right in downtown Tacoma.

And I happen to live in - Tacoma. I signed up for the andamento class with Bonnie Fitzgerald and Andrea Taylor (I'm not familiar with two women), and am on standby for the landscape class with Laura Rendlen.

I'm excited and wonder if anyone has attended them in the past and what their experience was. Susan

Comments (21)

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, gosh, I guess I'm the only one here. It is pricey, even without airfare and hotel. But, heck, it's a once in a lifetime event for me.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Hey drtdgr, I'm here. I won't be going but I sure would like to. I hope you go. It was in Austin recently (2 years ago? 1 year ago?) but I didn't go because I felt it was too pricey for me, even though I live here, and I've regretted it ever since. If it ever comes back to Austin, I'm going for sure!!!

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I will be sure to take a lot of photos and share my experience! There will be so much to absorb.

I hope it will lead to more ambitious projects. Everyone has to start somewhere. Susan

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

I have lots of friends in SAMA and from all the posts and pics over the years I will say you won't be disappointed. Things I think are a definitely do - volunteer to help in a class - you can get all the info for FREE! and definitely sign up for the mosaic marathon which always looks to be a BLAST! Don't miss any breakfast meets and evenings out, this isan excellent chance to hang out with some wonderful ppl

• becky_ia
    11 years ago

Susan, I will be attending...This will be my sixth conference. And each and everyone has been well worth the expense. I always say, my life was never the same after attending the first one in Mesa. Been to San Diego, Chicago, Austin, Lexington and now Tacoma. I have met so many wonderful and talented people.

Things to do especially if it is your first. Volunteer as much as you can. My first conference, I didn't know a soul. I volunteered for so much and it was the best. You really get to meet new people and can see how it all works. The classes are great, yes, expensive, but fun. The mosaic marathon is so awesome...you must do and doesn't cost anything but your talent and time. And once you register, remember to tell them you are a first timer. There is a group that will make you feel comfortable. Going to the vendor marketplace is worth the trip alone. You will see all the latest and newest things that are on the market, and you don't have to pay postage to get them. Be sure to buy tickets for the raffle...they have great prizes.

So rest assured...it will be worth it. Maybe we can even meet!

becky

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! I was feeling a little intimidated, being relatively new to the mosaic world.

I will definitely sign up for the mosaic marathon.

It would be fun to meet someone from this forum!

Susan

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

Susan, promise to post pics for us! Does anyone know who is leading the marathon this year... thats always my favorite thing to watch (from afar)

• becky_ia
    11 years ago

Susan, when it gets closer to April, email me and we can exchange cell phone numbers, or we can schedule a time to meet. I would like that!

Mosaic Marathon is headed up by Mark Brody and Lynn Adamo this year. If you'd like to see a picture of the mosaic, check out this link:
    http://www.americanmosaics.org/wp/index.php/?page_id=3138

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

ooh cool! thanks for that link Becky

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Becky, I will do that! Susan

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WOW! I wonder if I should be bugging my girls here to go...Squirrelly Canadian and Klinger...hmmm...ROAD TRIP!!!!

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I always wondered who Klinger was - and Squirrely Canadian?

Please send them. I must meet them. Susan

• texaswild
    11 years ago

I was just wondering yesterday why I haven't seen SQUIRRELY on Flickr lately. Y'all three w/have a terrific trip, CALAM.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

She's on Facebook, Calamity are you friended to her there?

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Yes, I am, I will contact them and see if they will make a special guest appearance here on Garden Web! heh heh!

• squirrellycanadian
    11 years ago

Hi Guys! Yes I'm going!! I'm all registered, I'm taking the Mosaicing with Beads by Sharra Frank. And the tour of the Spectrum glass factory. Can't wait!

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay! I'm excited to meet more of the people here! Susan

• squirrellycanadian
    11 years ago

I used to post here all the time, then a lot of people went to Flickr, now everyone is on Facebook. It's so hard to keep up to it all so I just use facebook. There are a lot of wonderful mosaic artists there and a lot are going to SAMA. I hope Clamaity and Klinger go too! Let's all meet up! You can find me on fb.. Shirley Fralick

• klinger
    11 years ago

I'm going to encourage Janie to go, but I just can't make it.I would love to and it's close to us too. However I've got a holiday booked for the end of the month and time and finances just don't work for another get away so soon after.You guys have FUN!
    Cindy

• deannad
    10 years ago

I heard a rumor that SAMA 2014 will be held in Houston. Does anyone know if that is true?

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

Its been confirmed for Houston, yes

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz