Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottatry_gw

? for Slow

gottatry
16 years ago

I'm a lurker! Finally bought a wet saw after seeing all the plates you cut up. I have a ton of plates stashed, along with "everything" else to start mosaicing come Spring. My question is, do you run your plate through with the footer up or down? I tried a clearish blue one with footer up and it shattered!!! Scared the bajeeezes out of me. My DH thinks I have just become a "collector" as I have not tried anything yet. Hot tub has become covered with dishes, glass, tiles, vases, clay pots. etc. for "someday"! You seem to be the "Queen" as they say on here and I would value your in-put. Have made several lists from your helpful advice. So glad you are BACK!!!!

Comments (10)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, good grief! It scares me to death to be asked "how tos", but here's what I do. I draw w/a permanent marker the size I want to cut on the rim, down to the rim. Sometimes I go all the way through the rim, but most of the time just to it. Then w/the nippers, I cut the rim off, and w/the saw blade, a swipe at a time, I smooth off the edges, using it sorta like a grinder. On the pieces I cut, I nip them where the curve is - some plates, that'll be twice, therefore you get three sizes tiles from one slice. Cutting where the rim is, allows you to use its back side so as to keep the curves lying flatter on your substrate. I guide the plate side up, but when I want to cut through the rim, I turn it over. I'm not using the thing you guide your tiles through the blade, I'm going free-hand - holding the plate firmly. Can't imagine what plate shattered on you, unless it's glass. I've not tried cutting glass w/the saw. Notice when you touch your blade, it isn't sharp like a knife, it's rather smooth. My HM touches it while it's running to show me not to be afraid of it. Hope this helps, and thanks for the welcome back. I missed y'all too.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

do not cut glass with a wet saw... that is all

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Hadn't planned to, but thanks.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I cut a bottle in half with my tile saw!!! I got witnesses to prove it: Squirrelly and Klinger! I thought they were gonna have heart attacks with my fingers so close to the blade!lol! I think you may have tried to cut a tempered glass, which would probably do what you said. Heck if you are wearing safety gear, be bold! (Or crazy)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• gottatry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again Slow! As usual, I clipped your info and will add to my "notebook" of insructions and supply lists. :)
    After ALL my reading I can see this will still be a trial and error hobby! But oh, what fun IF I can do half of what you ladies do. I pulled the clear blue plates and set them in the "hammer" pile! Nipping plate edges now.
    Calamity: Love the eye glasses!! Thanks for advice and will HOPE to post pictures "someday"

• texaswild
    16 years ago

After I posted those instructions, I remembered that when I get past the footer, if there's a neat design, as in those circular plates, I then take another small plate/saucer/can or whatever, draw a circle and go in again w/the saw. Still don't know what to do w/the large center rounds except to repeat the process, making pie shaped tiles. IF I should come up w/a design, is it more acceptable to use the large centers whole, or do y'all prefer to break them on purpose to add to the look?

• LinLee
    16 years ago

I'm not understanding why y'all are saying that you shouldn't use the wet saw for glass??
    Except for the fact that it's complete over-kill,
    you can use the wet saw for glass. In fact it's recommended for glass tile work...glass is glass.
    You can also use the side of the running blade to grind a smooth edge.
    ?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I think I've just been afraid of the glass splintering and shooting shards all over me. I found out the wonderful aspects of the grinding when taking off old mortar from the bathroom wall tiles when mosaicing my counter top. What a wonderful job it did, and so quickly. I've never bought glass tiles. I was thinking of trying to cut bottles but was too afraid, but MIGHT try it since CALAM said she did that. What kind of bottle, CALAM?

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Linlee, it depends on the blade, most saws come fitted as tile and stone cutters and require a change to a diamond glass blade.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Nice...yep, you're right. I was assuming that
    the person was already set up with the glass blade.
    Presumptions can be misleading. Thanks.