Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Light Block

becky_ia
16 years ago

Just a quick note...after seeing the beautiful light block as one of the gift exchanges, I thought I would pipe in. These are so much fun to make. I just made eight of them for Christmas presents and only have one left. Am sending a picture of that one. I had a good friend make cherry wood frames for them. Everyone who has seen them wants one. They are using them for entrance lights, night lights, to sit on your TV, to be used in bathrooms, on the kitchen counter. What is really nice, is you can do both sides of the block, you can change the block to something seasonal. The possibilities are endless!

Becky

P.S. I have orders for six more. Will take pictures after I get them finished.

Comments (23)

• crackedincolorado
    16 years ago

Very Cool Becky! First I'm seeing anything like this. So how do you make them?

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Wow,it's gorgeous:) And your grout is so smooth! What a great idea!

• meadel
    16 years ago

you still have my address ... right?!?!?!?!?!

I LOVE IT

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful and to have a frame makes then really special.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

That's really cool! I love it! Ok.....we want to know... how do you light it up, is there drilling involved? Oh! and I love the wood frame, it really makes the glass block look stunning!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Now this takes the cake. It's beautiful w/o the frame, but the frame makes it WONDERFUL.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

I have a 'thing' for glass block. I put it in my basement windows, but I would really love to have an interior wall of it. I love this idea!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

A whole wall of it, now you're talking!!! And Squirrelly, why don't you repost the pic of your Christmas box, it is to die for too, I still wanna make one!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Your light blocks are beautiful and the wood frame is a great accent to finish them off. I'm not surprised you have so many orders. I like your choice of designs.

• bianchi3
    16 years ago

Beautiful! o.k. how are they lighted up?
    Bianchi

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Wow Becky! Beautiful work! Love it!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

OH, that is soooo pretty!! The wood frame is the cherry on top! I am also interested in how you put the light in.
    My garage sale find of the summer was 27 of these glass blocks for......drumroll....$5. NOT apiece....$5 for all 27 of 'em! They've just been sitting in the garage and mocking me when I walk by.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

$5!!!! WOW!!! I wanna garage sale with you!!! Klinger tries to push me outta the way when we go together!!! (She's got a mean left elbow!) LOL!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Calamity, I wouldn't push you out of the way, I'd just hit the automatic locks on my way out!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

That's why I learned from Klinger to ride with the window open!wink!heh heh!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Love this becky. What a great idea, and you did it so beautifully.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

Cindiloo, you've got 27 of those!! What a great find! Calamity, here is the pic you mentioned, I put it out this year but hardly ever plugged it in, I hate running around at night unplugging all the xmas stuff, gave away a few of my plug-in ornaments last year. Need a "clapper" for christmas lights!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow thats really pretty. Now Im gonna have to hunt me up some of them there blocks. I would love a wall of them also in my bathroom going into the shower!!!

squirrelly- that is adorable, I love how you wrapped it!

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

Can someone explain how they made these? Are they made up of four glass blocks? where do you drill the hole and using what size and type of bit? I really want to make one of these.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is another one of the light blocks I made as a Christmas present.

Bianchi-you asked how they are lit. My husband has a glass bit he uses to drill a hole in the bottom of the block. I then clean out the block from the glass shards and a white powder that is inside (probably from the drilling). I wash them out with warm water). Let them dry out by placing on the furnace floor vents... Attach the glass with weldbond, let dry, grout and seal the grout-then put them into the cherry wood frames-add the string of Christmas lights (20 count). And wa-laaa!

Becky

• bianchi3
    16 years ago

Thank you Becky, it sure looks pretty.
    Bianchi

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

They have blocks at lowes that are already drilled with a hole. Plus they have some cool other ones in different shapes that you would need to drill a hole in. I bought 2, all they had left and i'm working on them now.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

My goal for today is to get a hole drilled in just one of my (27) glass blocks.....

Sponsored