Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadel2

Glass on glass WIP

meadel
10 years ago

Hello everyone !
Very long time no see !
I started this window a few years ago and thought I'd be done by the holidays..but they're creeping up so fast again,

This is based on A Fraktur design . I'm pretty clueless on what I'm going to do with the background. I have a lot of leaves planned and some more small flowers at the bottom but that's as far as I thunk it.
Suggestions welcome :-)

lol-- I have some clear scrap in the dishwasher now,! I hope it's not frit when I take it out !

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP

Comments (46)

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Meadel, I thought you were gone from this board for good! Welcome back!!!

Wow, your design is lovely. I would suggest pale green on bottom, fading up to pale blue on top.

It will be beautiful, no matter what you decide to do!

And scrap in the dishwasher? Tell me more.

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've lurked in and out. This was the first message board I was ever on! Would never be gone for good. It's like coming home. You're the friendliest bunch on the web!

I like your idea! I'm determined to use the horde of glass I have, though it never seems that I have the color I want !!

I have a bucket of clear that was filthy , dusty and gross from being in the basement..so I stuck it in the dishwasher.

It's running and I don't hear crunching..so I hope it's all good.
    I just had a bleach accident and don't want another mess to clean up!!

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ps..the glass came out so nice and clean !
    I'm going to haul the rest of it up ...someday :-/

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

I have seen a lot of glass on glass mosaics recently with clear textured glass backgrounds and Ive found I like that look. something to think about.

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

oooOo i love that Meadel and I agree with WW

plus I'm a fan of just diffusing the light for the background - like that icey looking clear from Youghi

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's one of the reasons I was cleaning off my scrap. I wish I could afford the Youghi but at $13+ a small sheet?? Yikes.
    I need another road trip there!
    I just saw a video on making your own gluechip. (It's too much work :-/ )Remember our faux gogh experiments ?! Fun

Here is a link that might be useful: Glue chipping

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

I forgot to say how much I loved your mosaic too!

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

lol yeah I love the whole glue chip thing, but not really liking using animal glues! I just got 10 small sheets of GC for 99 cents each - had to spend 25 to get my saw belt shipped! so let me know if you want any GC - I'll share.

Susan and I will likely get back up to Yough in the spring if you want anything then I grab it for ya

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

That is soooo darn lovely. And the baby birds -adorable!
    Have you done more?
    Kathy

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did a minuscule amount. I was just thinking about doing more today.
    It's been so cold in my basement that I couldn't work ...it's warmer today :-)
    Thanks for asking and prompting me to get dressed and 'get it done'
    I appreciate all your comments.@NT jealous of your future trip to Youghi. Although I still have a lot of what I purchased on my trips there..I now think of the things I should have gotten.lol

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

I found putting a dehumidifier in my basement generates some heat in the space for me to be comfortable.

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have one too and a small heater. Still to cold down there today.
    Another reason to hate winter.

• brokenbitmosaics
    10 years ago

I back paint a lot of the clear glass that I use. Don't know if that would help you out or not.

Love it! Can't wait to see a finished picture.

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Minor update. I needed to look at some color today.
    Hopefully , I'll get to the background soon!

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Much better than looking at that snow in the background!

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Lovely! Wonderful color.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Meadel, this is adorable!!! Inspiring!!!

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A little progress. Sorry for the crummy pics.
    I've a lot more to do including painting the frame.

From Fraktur mosIc wip

From Fraktur mosIc wip

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ps. Thanks for the kind comments. :-)

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. The background is perfect for showing off these wonderful designs.

• brokenbitmosaics
    10 years ago

I love it. I have several old windows....they are on that to do list.

• meadel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.i really appreciate the feedback!
    This is so far from my original idea. I'm kind of winging it and am trying to use the glass I've been hoarding instead of buying new. (so hard to resist)
    I'm still undecided on the border area.
    I'm so determined to get this done and off my work desk.I've new ideas that are screaming to get done .

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

VEry pretty. Nice flowers.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    9 years ago

Luv luv luv!!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    9 years ago

I had to come back to this...it is so attractive! YES, I remember the van gogh glass, I just mentioned it on another thread! Oh I hear ya about the glass hoarding!!! I just relapsed and bout another couple hundred dollars of glass...arg!!!! BAD JANE!!! BUT having said that...I do have plans for it, it will be part of my GOG front door, so do need some attractive stuff...just too bad the attractive stuff is $24 a sq foot!!! I have a bunch of windows and a bunch of clear glass, so am thinking of painting the glass and doing up some of the windows(window hoarder too) to sell at a garden center that is selling my stuff(Klinger talked me into putting my stuff in there). Anyhoo, I will be checking on this lil pc of eye candy of yours...so inspiring!!! ;-)

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Kathy and Jane.
    You're feedback means a lot!
    Pardon the crummy ipad pics. I can't seem to find my SD card!

I'm still plugging away. Here's today's progress.

From Fraktur mosIc wip

This post was edited by meadel on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 18:23

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane.. A couple HUNDRED ! (You go girl) !ðÂÂÂ
    I can relate to the window hoarder thing. I have a bunch too and this is only my first. I think I'm going to give some away. not really liking the size...
    I think I need smaller projects. !

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

Its stunning!
    Kathy

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ,Kathy ! Now on to the border :-/ I hope it doesn't take a year ..

• Calamity_J
    9 years ago

Are you going to grout this? It is sooo perfect!! PLZ don't take a year!!! lol! I wanna see it soon!

• emtnest
    9 years ago

Hi Lori, your window is amazing..love it ...so airy and springy...I just finished up a gog that I started probably 3 yrs ago...I'll post it...I haven't been around here in a long time either..

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again. I do plan on grouting most likely with black. I've considered multicolors, but I think I'm not up to that much work!
    The border design has been killing me. I've done a couple and then ripped them off.
    This was going to be a peacock with a floral border. I changed my mind thinking it was too ambitious. I'm a fool..I would have been done by now. I had a plan!! :-/

Anywho. This is what I'm coming up with.

From Fraktur mosIc wip

And his is my loose plan.(colors not true to life) I don't think it will be so rainbowey. Top is still under consideration...
    And the L snapped corners are still a mystery !
    I was going to just put multicolored squares all around. Sheesh..

From Fraktur mosIc wip

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It needs a cleaning and a few repairs and frame need painting but it's done.
    Took forevah!

From Fraktur mosIc wip

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! Beautiful work! I think if it was in my house, I'd just sit and stare at it all day.

• texaswild
    9 years ago

This is probably the most beautiful window I have EVER seen. I hope you'll enter it in some contests and juried shows.

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lori and Slo!! I â¤ï¸Â
    I've never entered a contest or shows. I may try.
    I based this bird on a fraktur by a Pa. Artist. I did ask permission and she agreed (as long as I don't sell it )
    I sent her a pic, but haven't heard back yet. I do hope she likes it.
    Thanks again all for the encouragement and complements.
    Lori M

• toomuchglass
    9 years ago

GASP ...... It's gorgeous !!!! I love to see in progress pictures !

**** I still have a bunch of those faux van gogh tiles we made !!!! I got so many ideas from them . Ahhhh memories :)

• emtnest
    9 years ago

Wowza did it ever turn our gorgeous over the top!!!

• texaswild
    9 years ago

I suppose the artist meant not to sell the design, but you're free to sell the window.

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

OH MY that is over the top gorgeous!!! I agree I'd be doing a lot of sitting and looking at this beauty!!!

• brokenbitmosaics
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Work to be proud of.

• meadel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all ,!I appreciate your kind words :-)
    I'm going to paint the frame and try to find the best way to hang it.
    Hoping I don't break it trying .
    Now to clean the workspace after months of neglect. Ugh

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Wow! Just wow!

I hoard old windows too! DH hates it! I'm such a dumpster diver when I'm in my creative moods.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

meadel, that is absolutely stunning. My gosh. A little speechless.

Patty S.

• nicethyme
    9 years ago

never saw this one wrap up, dayum!!!! that's really gorgeous

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

I know this took you a long, long time to start and finish and it took me maybe 15 minutes to look at all your pictures, but WOW! That is some of the nicest work I've ever seen! It's a stunner!

I have a window that I did a few years ago. It's heavy and I couldn't figure out how to hang it. I ended up just putting it on the window sill against a window in my family room. It not only looks neat with the light coming through, but it ended up being a nice barrier from looking at the neighbor's yard/deck! Win win!

Again, yours is just beautiful!! I love it.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!