Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

first backsplash piece

bettycbowen
15 years ago

I thought it might help me speed up my progress if I actually put a piece up. So I made a section for the upper inside of the window - I assume this will be the most difficult section to install.

I made the section on waxed paper, using soapstone & tile bits to keep it under control

{{!gwi}}

Then I pasted parchment paper over it. Next time I'll use white craft paper, the parchment was too flimsy. Then the next day I used tinted thinset and put it in place - pretty challenging given the location over the sink. This photo is of "where its going" - the interior upper part of the window itself

Then this morning I re-moistened the paper and cleaned it off. There are places the thinset came through, so I will clean out those spaces this afternoon.

In the picture it looks like it definitely needs more cleaning. (Note the original 50's light fixture I saved!) It isn't perfection, but I think I'm going to like it.

So now I'm going to start the narrow upper edge, since DH is cutting the soapstone for the windowsill. When that's in I'll do the window sides.

Also, next time I will tint the thinset a little greener. It is just ochre in this pic.

Comments (16)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This is going to be amazing. Like your color choices. Can't wait to see it done. I need to get into something like this.

Kathy

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

very cool Betty!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, BETTY: I like it, I like it. Sure would like to see a larger picture, though. This w/be a fun project to watch. Keep us posted of progress.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow! That's a LOT of work, but it sure is pretty! That's going to be one beautiful window when you are done!! GREAT JOB!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Another ambitious project....I LOVE your kitchen and the mosaic colors are awesome!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!! You picked the hardest part first!!lol! It gonna look amazing!!!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

that's going to brighten up the whole area..
    I envy the ambition but I don't envy the sore neck, after getting that piece up there!

I see that and look at my kitchen window...go back and look at it again and look again at this kitchen window....

naw!...not yet.....lol

I also love the colors you chose.

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody, you are encouraging as always.

calamity, doing the hardest part first made me think of something my father used to tell me - many of his "wisdom stories" were about chopping cotton - he said one of his grandfathers always started at the easiest end of the field, since that meant every row he worked was the easiest row left. The other grandfather always started with the hardest end of the field, because that meant the rows were getting easier and easier. I'm definitely more like grandpa #2 just wish I could remember which grandfather was which.

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

I start in the middle and never know which way I'm headed.lol

Becky .(*_*).

• daisyme
    15 years ago

What a great start! I love the colors you're using and admire you for taking on such a big project. It'll be wonderful, and so fun for us to see all the pictures as it develops.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

This is a wonderful project!! nice colors!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I was watching a show about a guy who was turning a big water tower into a 6 floor home...he did all the most unnecisary things first!LOL! Just like me! I do my fav parts first!ha!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

WOW, Betty that is AWESOME!!! Love those colors, but want some bigger photos like Slow says!!!LOL.

I was wondering how you were doing on your project, but was afraid to try to hurry you up. Fantabulous, keep those pix coming so we can see how this is progressing!!

• october17
    15 years ago

Yes! Please post some pics. I couldn't see the first ones.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Ok where the pics are supposed to be it says that they have been moved or deleted...I would really love to see them.

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

how odd. I managed to get 2 back, don't know why the other wont show, sorry!