Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacbeary

What I've been up to

cacbeary
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I haven't been posting here & recently answered a question about the BB system. Thought I'd post & catch up.

This forum is special because you got me started in mosaics on the Garden Junk forum. It's been a busy year & thought I'd show some stuff I made. I need to post more often but seems like we all get busier than ever!

First off was getting to know Ray from Cutter's Mate. I had a tutorial published on making the shoe & Ray used it in an ad with GPQ magazine. That was very exciting & made a life-long friend, Ray.

I was going to post pics but don't want GW owning my pics so will just include the link to my Flickr account.

I made a lighthouse from a road cone. I'm making another one this year. But the best was a GOG from an old window of a barn. It just won the Glastar competition for Nov - not yet up on their web site.

I discovered I lived 35 minutes away from Youghigheny glass. You can go to their factory & get HUGE discounts on glass - nice road trip for anyone in that area (Pittsburgh). They have sheets of glass $1.50, $3, & $4 a sheet. So I've been buying all my glass there now. The barn was made with the Yough glass & it just sings with the light shining through it.

And the best is I'm going to be a Grandma, my first time, so we're all excited.

Anyhow, New Year's Day I'm going through all the posts here looking at all the eye candy here.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr site

Comments (15)

• wisrose
    15 years ago

cacbeary...The Barn is a beautiful work of art and quite deserving of an award, Congratulations! That is the kind of work I want to do..that is what I dream of anyway. I could go on and on but I will let the others give praise. It is so realistic, ok that's it.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

I have been watching your work for quite a while. Please let us know where we can see your shoe again...I saw it awhile back and loved it...totally awesome! Your barn is so fun to study....tons of hours of work, I am sure. And your doggy portrait was amazing. Glad you are back and look forward to seeing much more of your art.

becky

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Love your barn window. Little Beau turned out fantastic. I've done a Jack Russell and have a friend that wants one og her yorkie. You are an inspiration.

Kathy

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky - the shoe is still here. Can't show the one for the GPQ magazine. All those pics are copyrighted & owned by GPQ. Wisrose - the shoe was the first thing I made with the BB system - it was that easy to do.

Ray also goes around & does demos of all his tools at SG stores now around the country. Maybe you live by one of the stores. You should email him.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoe

• carolann_z8
    15 years ago

I like everything you've done. You're very talented.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

You certainly turned pro. I checked out the shoe thread - just a year ago, and look at your wonderful work. I never did get the BB. Figure I have enough tools, so am serious about not buying more this time. I don't utilize the ones I have. I'm content w/my rustic, primitive ways, so w/stay w/it while I admire all you professionals' work.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

that barn is the creme de la creme! APPLAUSE

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't turn pro (not in that class) but I sure do love mosaicing and learning new things. And there is soo much to learn. Slow - please don't call your work rustic, primitive. It's your style. You inspired me. I'd like to be more like you but I don't have that in my imagination anywhere. I've looked for it, LOL!

• klinger
    15 years ago

I've really loved looking at all your projects. You've sure come a long way baby, lol. I have a norton cutting system that I've never used. I'm tempted to haul it out now that I've seen the work you're doing with the bb. Looks like the factory was a wonderful place to spend some time.
    Happy new year,
    Cindy

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy - The driveway of the glass factory is all scrap glass. It's all you can do to not grab a bucket & fill it. You can get tours of the factory. The glass is beautiful & they give you such a great discount at their outlet store.

I did a job that was 15 minutes from the factory so stopped a couple of times while working there. The girls are really nice that work the outlet store too.

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

I forsee a road trip this spring, a nice three hour ride!!
    I can't wait! How big were the sheets of glass that were $4.00?
    I just LOVE the shoe! And your barn is amazing, you truly are an artist cacbeary!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheets are 10 in x 12 in

Then they have little half sheets of the $1.50 stuff for 75 cents. It's unreal. Yes, definitely do a road trip. Well worth it. And ask for a tour.

Then they have those big full sheets of glass and 1/2 sheets of glass. The half sheets of glass I paid $20 (bought 2)which would be like 18" x 24 ". I think it would depend on what type of glass you bought. Some are mottled, some are swirly.

They didn't have a lot of the $1.50 glass (gee, I wonder why - I would buy all of that, LOL) but at $3 & $4, who cares. I did have some problems making the barn boards in that it's hand-made glass, not machine, & one piece was a little warped & sometimes it will have a defect in it - but they have some beautiful glass. I noticed the warp when cutting strips but once it's cut up you don't notice it. It was only on the red barn boards though.

They have a sale in November. I just received 2 coupons for 1/2 price for 2 pieces of glass for January so I'm going this month for 2 iridized big 1/2 sheets & pay $10 each. I know they are normally $20 a big half sheet - she had it in beige & I told her white, she would have got me.

They are feeling the economy - the Sony plant just closed nearby. So there weren't any customers but me & had a nice chat with the girl & she took me in the backroom & showed me some mosaics she was working on. Beautiful stuff!

Then there is their Oceana glass - too pricey for me. Stayed out of that section.

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Hi cacbeary,

Congrats on the new baby! I am enjoying seeing all of your work-I love the Dorothy shoe. Such craftsmanship-I would have adhesive all over the place. ;-)
    I am actually in Pittsburgh- where is the glass place that you mentioned? I would love to convince my husband to make a road trip if I can!

Jenny

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jenny - Get on the PA turnpike & go 2 exists & get off at New Stanton exit. Then it's 15 minutes from there in Connelsville.

What part of Pgh are you from? I'm on the east side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youghiogheny web site

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Sorry, I forgot that I posted on this thread, and I forgot to follow up (oops). ;-)

I am just north of the city, near the zoo, actually. You aren't too far from me, but certainly closer to the factory! I did mapquest it, and it is only about an hour, so I have plans to go already. I told hubby that it would be my birthday trip, and to start saving up now (it is in March). It sounds wonderful- I just love to look at other projects for inspiration, and it is even nicer to see them in person...thanks for the tip!