Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eklypz

First Time poster with a question and showoff

eklypz
16 years ago

Hi, I just started mosaics a couple months ago and am hooked. Have lurked a bit here and you all are amazing and inspiring!

First the question:

Has anyone seen anything in stained glass that I can use that is fluorescent or glows in the dark? Been having a devil of time finding anything and KNOW it has to be somewhere. Actually started to research how to make my own glass lol.

Now the reveal, would love feedback! My 2 favorites I have done so far:

Souls' Journey

Solar Awakening

Comments (22)

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

eklypz, WOW! I can't believe you are new at this! Your pieces are incredible. They are inspiring!

Regarding fluorescent glass, I don't know of any that you can buy. However, it would be pretty simple to make your own, I would think. There are some links here somewhere to making faux van gogh glass - instead of using glue chip glass, try plain glass with fluorescent paint. You'd probably have to put it on pretty thick, and then back it with black spray paint.

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Hi Eklypz! (Cool name :) Love your stuff, especially Soul's Journey. I'm with Tamar. I think you could make your own. We could call it Fluoro FoGo! Let us see what you come up with!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Very nice! Really like Soul's Journey, too! Lovely stars....did you cut them with a glass saw? I'm with Ronnie and tamar in thinking you could probably make some with the plain (or textured - let's go a bit out there!!) glass, fluorescent paint and backing it with black paint. Try it...that's how we have ALL learned quite a bit!

Pat

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Always enjoy seeing new work. Welcome! Great pieces, keep it up.

Ramona

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The stars are actually hard plastic. The kind you put on the walls, a bit firmer material though. Never thought of painting glass, I will search the forums for info on a how-to! You are talking about doing the front of the glass painted then the other side black?

Thanks so much for all your feedback, means a lot coming from such talented people!

Jeff

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

eklypz-welcome glad you decided to join us. I am assuming they are talking about painting the back of the glass with flouresent paint then after that dries go over that with black. Thats how we do our faux van gogh glass.

As for making the grout reflective, I have seen glow in the dark acrylic paint that you might be able to paint over your grout lines and wipe carefully to get any paint off the glass. I have seen this paint at the craft store and have been wanting to try it but havent yet!! It may then make your grout lines glow. Lowes used to have glow in the dark grout but I dont think they carry it anymore.

I loved both your pieces but liked the Solar awakening best. Hope to see you here more!!!!

Merry Christmas!!
    Donna

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

WELCOME Jeff!!!

LOVING your work!! I do not have a clue about the fluorescent idea but hope you find out. I think this would be a GREAT element to add to mosaics. Love the stars!! Plastic is OK we will not tell. Hehehehe Lots of people here use found art in their projects. Anything goes as long as it will stay glued on and makes you happy.

So glad you are right in the swing and show pictures!! We LOVE pictures.

We have tried several ways to paint glass. Some used the glue chip glass and painted on the ruff side of it. Then put the painted side down. Trap the paint between the glass and your backing.

I just did some with oil paints. The tester brands. I used the metalic version. Then I bought some more and did not notice until I got home it is an acrylic. Not sure that will make a diference. I have not had time to try it out yet.

I had just a bit of trouble cutting the glass after it was painted. I had to cut on the front ,non painted side, then turn the piece over with the pliers let the break run with the paint on top. Otherwise the paint seemed to want to peel off. I did not put black on the back of mine and maybe I should try that too. Need to glue some down and see if they will stay put and noit peel off the paint.

Chris

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Jeff, (thank you for adding that - I never would have conquered that username!) welcome to the forum! Wow, I love all your stuff in your gallery! You make jewelry! and costumes??? I'm so impressed! Souls Journey is my kinda art! greatjob on both, such neat work, did you work in stained glass previously?

• yell_rose
    16 years ago

Welcome, your work is very creative! Nice sense of color. You could also paint the board (if that's what you're using) with the flor. paint and then glue clear glass over that. You can make marbling and all kinds of swirlys in the paint. Let us know what you do!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Love the colors you have used! Glad you jumped in and shared with us! We paint the back of the glass and seal it with black paint, like making a mirror....I'm into swirlies lately so REALLY like your style! I also like your goals for some tools I would like also, glass kiln and to do some metal work.

• brendak_59
    16 years ago

Love your work.I really like the colors you used. There is a web site that has glow paint and powder. Don't know if it will work on glass but there is a email address on the site that will answer your questions. It says it will work on rocks. hobbyglow.com
    Good luck.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy dawg snot! (thats a good thing)!
    I'm happy to meet ya Jeff. Love your work and the nice flow to it. Souls journey is really striking to me. Maybe it's the dark background, but da-hanng, I'm liking them swirly things too!!
    So glad you jumped in this forum. Hope to see more from you!

Susan

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool, well guess my contribution to the community will be finding ways to make things GLOW. Like the lady that always seems to be my cash register person at Michaels tells me you can never have too much glow lol.

I have never done any stained glass or anything but will be doing that real soon. This is my first time using glass, have done a lot with polymer clay (and will be making some tiles there for sure!) but REALLY love glass, it is like coming home. I get tingles up and down my spine and a warm glow in my heart when I use it. I told my friends it is like finding my soulmate when I started working with glass lol. I am a bit of a dork I guess :D

Such GREAT ideas for making fluorescents with paint, lots of ideas to try. Would never have thought about using paint!

Such a great community you have here, happy I found y'all and look forward to more interactions.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Dude, if you're a dork... you have just joined the flock here! LOL

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

VERY nice work! Love both of them.
    WOW, if you're new at this, what can we expect from you in the future, great things, I'm sure.
    Welcome to the group, this is the most congenial group ever.
    Bianchi

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Welcome, those are awesome pieces!!

Nicethyme is right, this is the "glass dork" cult...er I mean flock LOL Pretty much anything shiny amuses us!

Here is one thread about painting glass, you can search on "faux gogh" and get more ideas. Hang around here, the ideas multiply with alarming speed!!

Maria

Here is a link that might be useful: paint glass

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

I can't believe you just started....you already look like a pro. Great job!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Welcome jeff beautiful work....love them both!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I'll ditto that - welcome, JEFF.

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks much! i have not done much with paint, my hands are more of a brush.

I am ordering my grinder and glass cutters and stuff today, yay Christmas money! Really want to do some stained glass fractals..

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

WOW WOW WOW your first stuff, AWESOME i can't wait to see more.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Welcome, Eclypz! I like your work! The great thing about our forum are all the creative ideas like yours. Can't wait to see your creative art in flouresent colors.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH