Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenellooney

Stair landing medallion WIP

jenel
14 years ago

All the pieces are cut and laid out. Five large sections are glued to mesh, but there are still tons of little pieces that I'll have to lay to fill in the gaps. I'm wildly intimidated but also very excited. :)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

That is BEAUTIFUL!

Donna in Florida

• katishooked
    14 years ago

WOW Nice job

Kat

• jenel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! It's riddled with imperfections, but I'm hoping that the overall picture fools the eye into not noticing the imperfections. For example, the triangles in the points of the big star are all different sizes. I cut them all the same size to start with, but when I laid it out, several of them had to be made smaller in order to fit.

I kind of wish I had used the white in the outer part of the circle, as well, somehow, just a thin line of white tile.

Is anyone ever completely satisfied with their work? LOL

• texaswild
    14 years ago

You HAVE to be joking, JENEL. This is such a beautiful mosaic, I can't believe you aren't completely happy w/it. Remember - only God is perfect. I don't see one itsy bitsy thing to be unhappy about on this near perfect work.

• becky_ia
    14 years ago

OMG! I agree with Slow...THIS IS AWESOME! I would LOVE to have this in my house!

becky

• iminmystudio
    14 years ago

This is beautiful I really want to do something like this one day in my house. I can't see any thing wrong with it and even if I could any imperfections just add character and prove that you did make it when no one believes you because it is so fantastic!!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! That is soooo Fabulous!!!! Good job! You are putting me to shame as I have had a similar project on my To Do List ... all year!!!! Thanks for the great Eye Candy!!! jane

• jenel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awww! Thanks, everyone. Your enthusiasm means the world to me. I really appreciate it! I laid the tile yesterday, and it went so well. I was very organized, with each section laid out on a different step so I could grab the tile quickly and get it in place. My thigh muscles are killing me today from all that crouching!

And Jane, don't feel ashamed at all. This project took me about a year, I think, not including the daydreaming stage. I just don't have time or energy to work on it all the time, so I've just relaxed and done what I could, when I could.

My next project is an outdoor shower. I'm going to completely switch gears and do the whole thing out of stained glass. Again, I'm wildly intimidated, but that makes projects more fun for me. I want to be scared out of my mind. LOL

I'll post another pic of the medallion when I finish grouting it, sometime before New Year's. I lurk here a lot, looking at your pictures for inspiration when I can grab a minute. Thank you again for your kind words!

• jenel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of the medallion all grouted and done, with the trimwork installed.

{{!gwi}}

• october17
    14 years ago

That is so beautiful! Incredible! You are sooooooo very talented!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

That is one beautiful piece... the colors look different in each photo...the first looks like browns, tans, creams... the second looks like browns, tans, creams and blues? I'm sure it's the lighting, but which is it? It's lovely either way!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW! Good Job!!! Okay,....so do you find yourself, getting up and go to look at it a few times a day??? Just to gaze lovingly at it...like you can't believe it turned out so great!!??? I did that with my fireplace!lol! Just wondered if anybody else gets like that?!ha!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jenel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calamity, your fireplace is gorgeous! I love slate. So tactile.

emtnest, the colors in the second picture are pretty accurate, at least on my computer screen. I took the first picture with my cell phone. The second, with a good camera. There's a cream that's so light it's almost white, a pale tan, a reddish brown, and a dark bluish-gray, for a total of four colors. I was trying to be brave with colors and not use everything in the same color family, although they are all earth tones. I used a lot of leftover tile we had laying around.

We rent out the apartment as a vacation rental, and we have guests checking in today, so I won't be able to see the mosaic for a whole month. I told my husband not to say anything to the people about it, just to see whether they mentioned it unprompted. I hope they do, but I hope they don't mention it to tell us that tiles are falling out left and right.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. You'll get kudos from your renters, for sure. And to think - this was from leftover tiles??? You're very creative, and I love your color combos.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

It's an amazing piece!! You should be very proud of yourself. I'm sure everyone will comment on it.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!! take a big bow - its wonderful

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Some how I missed this ! Very beautiful!!!

• calinromania
    14 years ago

Very NICE!
    I'd just get a sleeping bag and sleep on it and forget about getting to the top floor where probably the bedroom is :)

• jenel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! The renters have been there two weeks now but haven't said a word to us about the mosaic. It's okay, though. I'm sure they just think it's been there forever and have no idea I made it and finished it just a day before they arrived.

They check out the end of January, and so far we don't have anyone lined up for February. If that holds true, I'm thinking about having a medallion party. I'll wear a necklace with a medallion, serve pork medallions, etc. Just something silly.

• calinromania
    14 years ago

yuppy!
    never been to a... medallion... party.
    but i like pork.
    hehehe

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

If those renters knew you made that, they'd be floored!!!heh heh! We are doing the Olympics here soon...I'd give YOU a gold!!!