Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thinset stick-ability

Posted by ans_garden (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 11:29

Hi everybody! I haven't had a project in about 6 months, but a friend gave me a small broken china bowl and asked if I wanted to do 'something' with it. Using thinset, I glued a chunk of it onto a wood frame and now wonder how strong it is. You can barely see in the first photo that only the right and left edges are attached. The frame is primed with Kilz and is about 8" square. I will insert a mirror for hanging.
China chunk attached Shamrock mirror started

In the garden panel I did last year, I used thinset to attach beads, 1/2 clay pots, and glass globs but there was more surface area to work with. Here, I was only able to glue 2 thin edges. So, my question is, has anyone had good (or bad) experience with gluing or attaching objects that aren't flat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thinset stick-ability

Hi, ANS: Thinset is a great adhesive. If your cup half doesn't adhere, since there is little surface in which to use thinset, you can also use GE II and use enough that it squishes up to fill the void places a bit. It is another good adhesive, but I've stopped using it except for rare objects, and always have plenty of ventilation. It is very toxic. You have a cute idea going, so good luck and keep us posted. Don't know what's happened to the forum - everyone seems very busy lately.

o

I did as you said with the thinset, squishing it up to fill voids where I could. Checking it today, it feels fairly firm, so I think it will be fine after all, especially as it's decorative & not functional.

I really like thinset & try to avoid the smelly adhesives too. I started wondering how people attach 'chunkier' pieces as I'd like to do more projects incorporating found objects. Does anyone use mesh somehow in combination with an adhesive for strength? Or has anyone had something fall off & know why?

Thanks Slow for responding. I'll keep working on this when I can but, unlike you, I am so slowwwwwww!

o

I have stuff fall off all the time, but it is usually because my clumsy seft bumped it. The thinset will hold great. A lot of times for outdoor work and on my backsplash I used Bond-O like body shops use. I got mine at an auto supply store and it sets up in 5 min and they you can not knock stuff off with a chisel. Good luck, great start

o

Thanks flagtruck! If I was going to keep it, I'd use this as a test project and wiggle it a bunch, but I'm giving this to my friend, so it'd be nice if it lasted a day or two :)
Here's the work from today; thought I'd try gluing a string of beads as a border for the mirror:

Shamrocks and beads

o

Started background today:

Photobucket

o

Beautiful work. Love the beads. Your Shamrocks are perfectly cut!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here