Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yell_rose

sea turtle done

yell_rose
16 years ago

This was done on a board that was painted blue, with various clear and blue glass. Since taking this picture, I've redone the turtle grout with tan paint. It's much better! But I don't have it here any more to take another picture.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (29)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OMG!!!! IT'S FABULOUS!!! OMG!

Yellow, I can't express my thoughts... I'm blown away with this.

Is it sand or frit? OMG!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

That is SO pretty!! LOVE the glass you used on the turtle shell....makes it look 3-D in the pic! Great Job!!

Pat

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW!!! Super Job!!! LOVE IT!!!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

OMG!!!.....IS RIGHT! That is UNREAL!..... WOW!!!!
    Just Amazing!

Hazie

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

That is so gorgeous!!! I love the sea theme!! You couldnt have done it any better!!

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

Yeah, the turtle shell color is right on. Love what you did around the edges. Real nice job.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

It looks 3D!!!! Amazing!

• silvamae
    16 years ago

Superb! Gorgeous.

• ba1je
    16 years ago

now that is beautiful. and it does look 3D. what did you use on the edges??...barb

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

That's just amazing, I love it!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Well, ditto OMG................I've never seen this done before......turtle shell is perfect.......love this!!!

• rchovey
    16 years ago

I love that! What a great piece.

• yell_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, thank you, Nice it's sand not frit. Curb, good eye, it's 3-D! I raised the center of the shell with a layer of glass and slanted the next layer to blend. And I think looking through the clear glass at the painted back ground is what gives it more 3-d appearance. Barb, the edges are sand, glued with mod podge, shells glued with Amazing Goop, and beach glass... The sand was re-coated with mod to seal it. The edge was done in lots of layers, that was the most fun!This project kept me awake many nights - planning!

• mylalaland
    16 years ago

That is stunning. I just love it. You are a creative one.
    lala

• very_vintage
    16 years ago

How clever and creative are you!!! I always admire everything you make yellow. You are an inspiration!!! :)

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Stunning is right,anothr very clever artistic piece.Wonderful the way you put it together.I notice you have a card on it was it for a show?Beautiful Job!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy dawg snot!!

• meadel
    16 years ago

OH MY !!!! This is SO beautiful!!!! Totally breathtaking !

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

I am agreeing with everything said here. This is AWESOME! How did you ever come up with the idea? Your choice of colors and textures is incredibly realistic. This piece is the same caliber of art I saw last March at the SAMA Conference.

Marvelous, simply marvelous.

Becky

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

AWESOME! Your choice of glass, along with the sand and shell border just make this outstanding. I can't imagine it could look any better than it is now. I love it like it is in this photo.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

I do not know how I kept missing this post. Your sea turtle and background are WONDERFUL!! So realistic. Thanks for the information on how you did it too. Always good to have things like this tucked away in the old brain of mine.

Very nice and it looks so wet!!!

Chris

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Oh!!!! every one said it for me .

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow that is so pretty. The sand around the edges sounds like it was hard work. I love the colors on the turtles shell and the placement of the shells around the edges.

• crystal01
    16 years ago

This turned out beautiful. I love the colors and 3D effect.

• yell_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You've all been more than kind! Thank you. The edges were quite easy. Spread glue, sprinkle sand, glue shells, and recoat sand with glue. Actually it was much easier that the glass work. Just time consuming because of the layers. I'm so glad all of you like it!

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

I LOVE THIS!!!! What kind of sand...like the kiddie play sand? Awesome job on this!

Barb

• yell_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crafty, this was part builders sand.(A friend had some handy.) And each time we would go the the beach, I would bring home a small bag. Any kind of sand will work. On one project I even mixed it with paint, spread it to dry, and got a nice color to it.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

So cool, especially the shell.

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

YELLOW: WOW, WOW! I somehow missed this the first time around. It is...SO REAL! And all those other adjectives everyone else used. Beautiful!

Sure am glad MaryMary-TINA was looking for it!

Sponsored